Cycle travel insurance

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi

Off to the Dolomites soon but found out our annual travel insurance has a maximum limit for a single item of £500. Unfortunately the box the bike is traveling in is not far shy of that figure alone, and the bikes are three to four times that.

What have people done for insuring expensive bikes while traveling abroad/touring? Just accepted the £500 single item limit? Has anyone had to claim, and if so what did they do? Claim for separate parts (wheels, groupset, frame, forks) ? My bike's not off-the-shelf after all. Are there any companies that anyone knows of that have higher limits?

Thanks

KS
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I used citybond for a tour last year, this was for myself and the bike. If you want to insure an expensive bike you need rated locks, which to be honest I couldn't take anyway due to weight!
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    It's more if they go missing on the plane/in transit or are stolen out of our hotel room than leaving them at the side of the road or outside that we're worried about.

iPete, thanks, seems they have a £1500 limit for bikes which is a bit more reasonable. Trying to sort out on home insurance but we're moving flats and the insurers won't insure us unless they know exactly what material the flat roof is made from of the block we're moving into... which is on our return from holiday and the landlord doesn't have a clue :(
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"