Electronic Braking

RowCycle
RowCycle Posts: 367
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Hello,

With Shimano Di2 we have electronic gear adjusting. Do you think we'll see similar electronics in the braking?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    wouldn't think so

it's safety critical, compared to a lever and cable, there'd be many more things to go wrong, pus the question of what happens if the battery runs out/fails

gears are digital, so 'easy' to automate with relatively low power consumption, and unlikely to kill you if the system fails

brakes are a lot more complicated - feel, modulation, etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    For what purpose? Any new or refined design must begin with a problem. What's the problem you see in existing systems, that electronics might solve?

For instance- in cars, computer controlled ABS prevents wheelslip, by various means, preserving steering control. That isn't much of a risk with road bikes, but I can imagine a scenario wherein some electronics are tied to a tilt sensor, limiting braking to prevent the rider tipping over the handlebars.

That's just one thought, probably implausible. The point is, you need a problem to solve: "Electronics" is just a word, otherwise.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you want everything to be motorised, get a motorbike :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Electronic gear shifting has been and gone and come back again. See MAVIC Zap/Mektronic. Time will tell if it's here to stay this time ...
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    why not have electronic steering ?
    and an internet connection .
    A dynamo powered heater for winter cycling.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    balthazar wrote:
    For what purpose? Any new or refined design must begin with a problem. What's the problem you see in existing systems, that electronics might solve?

For instance- in cars, computer controlled ABS prevents wheelslip, by various means, preserving steering control. That isn't much of a risk with road bikes, but I can imagine a scenario wherein some electronics are tied to a tilt sensor, limiting braking to prevent the rider tipping over the handlebars.

That's just one thought, probably implausible. The point is, you need a problem to solve: "Electronics" is just a word, otherwise.

Then why did we have electronic shifting? What was wrong with the cable method?

I'm not advocating we should change, and I'm not going to be moving to electronic shifting any time soon. Was just a thought.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    RowCycle wrote:
    Then why did we have electronic shifting? What was wrong with the cable method?

I'm not advocating we should change, and I'm not going to be moving to electronic shifting any time soon. Was just a thought.

There are a few motivations for electronic shifting. Cable indexing is very sensitive to installation error, and poor cable runs; front mechs must be trimmed manually, to avoid chain rub; mechanical shifters have limited placements. Electronic shifting can solve these problems among others, and introduces the possibility of novel button control placements. Of course, it brings its own issues.

That's just, for instance. I'm not much interested on it - I'm happy with old style cable shifting, but my point is that you need a reason to redesign something. Find its current weaknesses, and concentrate on them.