loose rattling buzzing spokes on new Mavic Aksium

t5nel
t5nel Posts: 365
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Hi guys,

I have a new bike from ribble that was fitted with factory Aksium Race. I have ridden ~30km and have noticed that there is a buzzing vibration which can easily be repeated with the bike stationary by firmly tapping the tyre.

I have isolated this to a pair of spokes on the cassette side of the rear wheel. and if I hold these two and repeat the tap test the buzzing goes away.

Blades are all in line and wheels run true.

As these are the only spokes doing it I suspect it is not quite right but I am not sure of a sensible way to proceed with a remedy...any advice?

Tim
My bikes
MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra

Comments

• JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    All lower end Mavis wheels do it, I have a pair of Ksyrium equip and elite which I train on, both have rattling spokes when I give them a side on bash with my hand, my older aksiums never used to do this, i want them back =[
  • t5nel
    "Get used to it" then :(

migth try a teeny spot of grease on the contact points...
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I have a tiny square of double sided tape between the spokes where they cross, another option is a tiny square of rubber ie cut from an old inner tube, silence :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • t5nel
    Thanks for the replies.

For now a teeny square of black insulating tape has cured the noise. No doubt it will start of the other spokes soon...
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe