We're Good at Cycling !!!!!

claudb
claudb Posts: 212
edited August 2011 in Pro race
.. and here's the proof - it's in The Sun !!!!!! -

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3767852/Page-3-girl-Peta-Why-I-love-bikes.html

I'm no fan of The Sun but it must say something about the status of the sport in the UK that they run something remotely positive (in their own way). I'm no fan of "Celebs" but there's something satisfying about having a high-profile cycling couple.
It just made me think too. We seem to be good at Glamour Photography so maybe we should all get stripped down and in front of the camera too !!!

Comments

• edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    The Sun should sponsor a cycling team (girls and boys).
  • edeverett wrote:
    The Sun should sponsor a cycling team (girls and boys).

News Corp - the suns owners do sponsor the Sky team.
  • edeverett
    Yeah, but a domestic team with some of the Sun's 'character' would do a lot for the image of cycling in the UK.
  • I don't think cycling has an image problem in the uk, in fact I have done a lot of work with two big parts of the sporting departments within a certain national broadcaster and tell them each time that cycling is gathering momentum in the uk. In te age groups of 20-35 the take up of two wheels is astonishing. I used to know only two other cyclists now I can get a chain gang of 15 in a few calls from work colleagues etc.

The crowds at races and how busy bike shops are now at lunchtimes and weekends are all circumstantial indicators. I would be interested in any reports tracking growth over the last year. Within 5 years cycling will be mainstream I am sure of it and then we will all be moaning that our sport has been taken over ;).
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    edeverett wrote:
    Yeah, but a domestic team with some of the Sun's 'character' would do a lot for the image of cycling in the UK.

I actually think what you are suggesting there could provide a lot more acceptance of the sport (e.g. "cyclists on the roads") as I'm sure the influence of The Sun on a large part of the population is strong. Who knows there might even be one "White Van Man" thinking again about b****y cyclists already after that article. Never say never, one is at least a start !!
  • edeverett
    claudb - Yeah, that's about right, thanks for expanding on my thoughts a bit - a team the white van man could get behind. I could imagine it fitting the Sun brand.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I don't think cycling has an image problem in the uk, in fact I have done a lot of work with two big parts of the sporting departments within a certain national broadcaster and tell them each time that cycling is gathering momentum in the uk. In te age groups of 20-35 the take up of two wheels is astonishing. I used to know only two other cyclists now I can get a chain gang of 15 in a few calls from work colleagues etc.

The crowds at races and how busy bike shops are now at lunchtimes and weekends are all circumstantial indicators. I would be interested in any reports tracking growth over the last year. Within 5 years cycling will be mainstream I am sure of it and then we will all be moaning that our sport has been taken over ;).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14610857