So, Ullrich

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2011 in Pro race
One of his "people" alluding he may offer a doping confession soon

What would people make of it? Aside from him being bitter and trying to market a book, of course...
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Simple. By admitting to doping that means he was previously lying when he denied doping. As a proven liar, therefore, one would have to view the truthfulness of his doping confession with suspision. So,he must be lying when he admits doping, and is therefore clean.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, a bit uncomfortable with the "I'll confess years later". It'a bit like Ronnie Biggs saying sorry for the train robbery after spending the money he blagged.

Still, it's better than pretending nothing happened. But there are confessions and confessions, we'll see if he names everyone. He's still pals with Kloden I gather.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Simple. By admitting to doping that means he was previously lying when he denied doping. As a proven liar, therefore, one would have to view the truthfulness of his doping confession with suspision. So,he must be lying when he admits doping, and is therefore clean.

A fine piece of logic sir!!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Kléber wrote:

Still, it's better than pretending nothing happened. But there are confessions and confessions, we'll see if he names everyone. He's still pals with Kloden I gather.

Yeah, my answer is not the most helpful one but, it depends what he confesses to if he confesses. So, a bit difficult to say how i would view what he might say.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Jez mon wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Ah the Armstrong defence...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ulrich doped?

Pass me my smelling salts.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    ddraver wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Ah the Armstrong defence...

Just imagine how much more time Lance (mpbuh) may have won his tours by if he didn't have to contend with all those blasted dopers! I'm sure he'll be delighted by the news.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Some big boys did it and ran away.

Though given his origins I guess that's not all that far off the mark.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Should keep quiet.

We all know he did it. Unless he goes all Landis, and he absolutely won't, there's no value.

You get the impression, true or otherwise, that he just wants to be liked - and this is a way he is trying to get that back. It won't work.
  • Tusher

You get the impression, true or otherwise, that he just wants to be liked

Agree
  • ddraver
    Should keep quiet.

We all know he did it. Unless he goes all Landis, and he absolutely won't, there's no value.

You get the impression, true or otherwise, that he just wants to be liked - and this is a way he is trying to get that back. It won't work.

Not sure I agree with you there, I'd like him more if he owned up and said exactly what he'd done and why, Millar style, rather than pretended he'd done nothing wrong.

Whether he names names or not is another aspect and I suspect he won't but he can at least be honest about what HE did.
    - @ddraver
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well duhhhh !

Biggest non- story this year ?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Jez mon wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Are we starting to get in to Donald Rumsfeld country here-

" There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

I think this sums up most Doping related cycling issues.

One more for the road-

"I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."

15321565_125x125.png
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    If he doped then I'd like it if he made it public. Truthiness and all that. Better still if he says why he doped, Millar-style.

Plus, it would add to the feeling I get that few riders of the late 90s / early 00s were riding clean. Or were they?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    cougie wrote:
    Well duhhhh !

Biggest non- story this year ?

Yea id go with that, its old hat its time to move on.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    ddraver wrote:
    Should keep quiet.

Not sure I agree with you there, I'd like him more if he owned up and said exactly what he'd done and why, Millar style, rather than pretended he'd done nothing wrong.

Whether he names names or not is another aspect and I suspect he won't but he can at least be honest about what HE did.

Because he wasn't properly rumbled, he got implicated and paid it to go away, I, and I imagine many others don't think of the juice when they hear Ullrich. They see a slightly large pink jersey looking angry pedalling a huge gear.

We all know he doped, but the way he went means you don't think of that immediately. An admission would change that.

It's like Riis. We all knew he doped. But when he said it, it became all we could think about.
  • ddraver
    Well, still don't agree with you. When I hear "Ulrich", I hear "Doper"...

When I hear Millar/Riis at least it's "Doper trying to do the right thing"
    - @ddraver
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I just don't see how likely it is that a non doper could beat a doped rider at the top level.

Differences between top athletes are measured in tiny fractions - so by my thinking - he's beaten proven dopers - so therefore.....

TBH I'd assumed he'd got busted at some point over his career. If I look back on my Cycling magazines - just about every cover rider of his era has been done for it. Rife.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    They see a slightly large pink jersey looking angry pedalling a huge gear.

Wasn't that a movie? "Ullrich. The Fat and the Furious"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    edited August 2011
    I think he should own up for his own good - even though we all know it just confessing is going to make it easier for him to move on. He should just have bitten the bullet at the time.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Anyone who as a teenager on an East German sports development program who wakes up up before a ride to find the house is devoid of cereal so instead eats two litres of icecream deserves to be liked.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    ddraver wrote:

Funny. For me Riis = hypocrite.

Strava is not Zen.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    In Germany right now the general public's level of cynicism towards cycling is incredibly high - any pro cyclist is already immediately associated with doping. I don;t think he has much to lose
  • ddraver
    calvjones wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Funny. For me Riis = hypocrite.

I did nt say they were doing a good job...
    - @ddraver
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    He just don't see what he has to gain, unless he's become a tortured soul. Just leave it well alone. The general consensus was he has a murky past (as do all the riders of the same era), but do we really need details/heartfelt confessional? What would it acheive exactly?
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Anyone who as a teenager on an East German sports development program who wakes up up before a ride to find the house is devoid of cereal so instead eats two litres of icecream deserves to be liked.

SoS where ya get that story..it's a good'n
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • ddraver
    It would help break the omerta, it would send a message to young neo_pros that doing is not the way to live your life, but most of all, it is just being honest and truthful. If we want to clean up our sport then surely it is better to be honest about where we re starting from rather than having a lord of vague and shadowy assumptions...

It all depends on what he would say though I admit...
    - @ddraver
  • josame wrote:
    Anyone who as a teenager on an East German sports development program who wakes up up before a ride to find the house is devoid of cereal so instead eats two litres of icecream deserves to be liked.

SoS where ya get that story..it's a good'n

His biography - German only though :( I have a friend from Cologne who's read it so provided me with a few choice excerpts!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    As a product of the East German sports development system it would be reasonable to assume that he was doped without a lot of choice in the matter before he turned pro and probably would not have had any problem continuing in the same direction. (He probably would have had serious problems changing his preparation). It would be nice to know. It would be good for him to clear his head as well. The big problem that i can see is that he might well not have known exactly what he has taken or even thought to pose the question. Giving his body to science might serve a more useful purpose.
  • Tusher
    Of the present peloton, Jens is in the same boat as a former East German rider (the last?). Maybe he'll wait until Jens retires.

Or maybe not, as Jens will be the first 50 year old to ride the Tour.