Shimano Deore Rear Derailluer - Help!

Wheelybig
Wheelybig Posts: 10
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a GT with a shimano deore rear derailleur, on friday i was moving off in a high gear (forgotten to change down before i stopped) and i managed to completely snap the bracket that holds the derrailleur onto the frame.

Ive had a look at some websites (chain reaction in particular) and i cant seem to find the bracket anyway.

Is this a case of a new derailleur or does anyone know of anywhere online or otherwise that may sell the part?

The bike is a 2009 aggressor XC2 so its not even 2 years since ive had it.

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need a mech hanger. it is bike/frame/year specific. talk you local GT dealer.

and also look at the reason it snapped as what you say can not have caused it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    BETD sell hangers for just about any bike. Also Ebay sellers.
    But as Nick said, impossible to snap a hanger just pedalling unless you are the Hulk, so must be some underlying cause.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/725/27/

Take a look here, you should be able to see which one you need. Any good bike shop should be able to get a hanger for you if you know which number it is.
  • Ive just looked back at this thread as i dont use the forums that often - i do have 72cm thighs and 41cm calves which are basically all muscle - so this its possible!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wheelybig wrote:
    Ive just looked back at this thread as i dont use the forums that often - i do have 72cm thighs and 41cm calves which are basically all muscle - so this its possible!
    No it's not, the derailleur is on the slack side of the chain, all your effort goes into the top side of the chain, something else must have happened first!

Check the back of the damaged mech hanger, there may well be a letter stamped in, be careful you an get different hangers with the same letter, but if it's there it can narrow it down.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.