Very stiff Rival cranks

joey21
joey21 Posts: 53
edited August 2011 in Workshop
So I fitted a set of rival cranks about 2 months ago and they started off stiff, I thought that this was just because they were new. The crank bolt is not overly tight and it appears that the crank arm is actually pushing into the bearing face. All I have is a very thin splined washer between the exposed bearings and the crank arm. Because the non drive side arm pushes into the bearings it really increases resistance and is REALLY slowing me down. What am I missing or what can I do to cure it?

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what BB fitting is it?

GXP-BB20-Pushfit 30?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joey21
    No, it is just a standard English threaded GXP Bottom bracket. When the driveside crank is in it spins freely but you can see the non driveside crank pushes into the bearing face as you tighten it up.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    OK a Road bike.

1 there should not be an spacers between the BB cups and the frame.
    2 there should not be any spacers on the drive side of the axle.
    3 the non drive side arm MUST be tightened up tight to the bearing/seal.

the drive side axle should be visible the bearing is not preloaded in any way.
    the non drive side bearing is clamped between the step on the axle and the crank arm.

hope that helps.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joey21
    That is fantastic, thanks for your help.