Question for folk with campag ultratorque chainsets

godders1
godders1 Posts: 750
edited August 2011 in Workshop
I've bought a used centaur ut chainset and need to fit new bearings. Roughly how often would these need replacing? I'm unsure whether or not to spend £50 on the bearing fitting/removal tools (you can only buy these together as far as i can gather). If the bearings last ages anyway I'll just find a bit of 26mm pipe to do the fitting.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on whether you're riding the bike lots in the rain etc but typically 12-24 months of regular use. A shop will probably charge £20-25 + parts to replace the bearings so if you're planning on keeping the chainset more than 4 years, it's probably worth buying the tools.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • godders1
    This is for the good weather, daily commuting bike so plenty of miles but not too much gack getting into parts.

That said I have no intention of upgrading the bike or parts for a good while so reckon the tools would prove their worth over time. Thanks
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I bought a bearing puller for £8, can't remember who recommended it on here, but it does the job perfectly.
  • godders1
    Velonutter wrote:
    I bought a bearing puller for £8, can't remember who recommended it on here, but it does the job perfectly.
    Yeah I have a couple myself (a 2 arm and a 3 arm) but the jaws are far too chunky to fit under the bearings on a UT chainset. The park tool one looks like this:

50269.jpg

If you think the one you have would fit I'd be interested to know where you got it from! Cheers
  • delstron
    delstron Posts: 74
    Screwfix have them. At that price you can take a grinder to the feet and make them thin enough to fit under the bearing.