lighter faster

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Hi,

I have an old 12 speed which I am slowly making lighter by swapping out the old steel parts. Ideally I'd love a Madone but money is so tight I'm stuck with the old girl and to be honest we've done hundreds of miles together. I've changed the wheels, seatpost, saddle and pedals and it's made a huge difference, any suggestions to what else I could change?
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Start at the front and work your way back:

Tyres, skewers, forks (even newer ali one will save loads of weight, let alone carbon with ali steerer), stem, handlebars, shifters, brakes, chain rings, pedals, b/b, chain, cassette, change all bolts to ali (non load bearing) Ti (load bearing), cut the seat post down or change to carbon in the sales.

And so on and on and Ariston.

None of this should be too expenive if you shop around - for example, Planet X carbon/Ti skewers weigh nothing and are £16 or so a pop, so not too bad.

Essentially it's a bottomless pit and you'll end up leaving us for Weightweenies if you get carried away
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Lighter doesn't automatically mean faster. Assuming everything is working OK, the first upgrade I'd make is better tyres, followed by a track pump to make sure they are at the correct pressure. The improvement in my old 80s bike was huge when I got a track pump and filled the tyres to 120 psi. Previously I'd used an old frame pump and couldn't get the pressure much above about 70 psi.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TBH, you've probably done enough subject to what Term1te says. Once the wheels and tyres are sorted, remaining gains are minimal. I wouldn't even bother with changing the fork myself but I can see that could benefit - nothing much else though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would stick with what you've got and only replace when worn or broken - if you want to 'invest' in something better then save up your money and buy a whole new bike. What will make you go faster is quality training to make you fitter and stronger.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    TBH I think you've already done all you can.

I just rescued an originally 12 speed 80s Peugeot for my son. The aim was just to get it going safely / reliably.

Saved the Campag wheels by truing / polishing the rims and servicing the hubs. Just plopped in a Shimano square taper BB with a short axle so the Veloce chainset had a decent chainline. £10 Ritchey 1" threaded headset, bar tape, cables, new chain and good to go.

After a while I replaced the brake calipers cos the originals wouldn't stay centred, and the downtube shifters because they wouldn't hold tension (I suspect some bits were missing)

Then I had to strip it all down again cos he wanted to respray it!