Seized drive side pedal

Paul E
Paul E Posts: 2,052
edited August 2011 in Workshop
which is stopping me from changing from a triple to a compact, any ideas, already cut one knuckle open badly :(

Or is it just a matter of leverage and brute force??

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Plus Gas plus the latter!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Paul E
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Plus Gas plus the latter!

thanks, what kind of places is it available from?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Halfords, motor factors, internet....

Most important thing is a good long spanner, put the chain on the big ring, and make sure you're turning it the right way.
  • The best pedal spanner on the market: http://www.pedros.com/equalizerpedalwrench.htm
  • And compacts are crap anyway. You gonna miss those 10 extra gears. Enjoy those hours spent cycling 'trying to find the right gear'.
  • Paul E
    I have ridden one before and found it fine, triples have loads of doubled gears anyway.

they are shimano 540 pedals so it an allen key job which is causing more problems as I cant get the grip on the pedal enough to transmit the force I can get at the moment
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Paul E wrote:
    I have ridden one before and found it fine, triples have loads of doubled gears anyway.

they are shimano 540 pedals so it an allen key job which is causing more problems as I cant get the grip on the pedal enough to transmit the force I can get at the moment
    If the allen key is of decent quality then find a length of pipe the right diameter to slip over it and give you extra leverage.
  • Give me a pedal with spanner flats anyday. eg. Time.
  • stokey1964
    stokey1964 Posts: 454
    If the pedals are only 540's, why dont you get some new pedals for the compact and then worry about the seized one later.

Simon
  • keef66
    I've got M540s. Better off with a hex bit and a longish handle from a socket set IME. Even with a bit of pipe over the end, it's hard to keep the allen key straight and you risk rounding it off.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Use a length of pipe to get increased leverage. A short bit of scaffold pipe over the pedal spanner worked for me.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Try heating the end of the crank arm. Gentle heat with a blow torch or a paint stripper gun.
  • Paul E wrote:

You use a spanner if you are talking about R540 SPD-SL pedals.
  • keef66
    Good point; are we talking R540 or M540 pedals??

If you have the flats, a decent pedal spanner is the way to go.