Pedal Grease

ajwordy1984
ajwordy1984 Posts: 6
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Hi all,

Had a quick check and couldnt see a topic about it.

Cant believe I am posting about this but I've had to buy new pedals from CRC for my new Cube Attempt (which I still have not ridden due to my pedals siezing on my old Claud Butler).

The question is can someone reccomend a grease for me to use on my pedal threads so this doesnt happen again? I just asked my girl friend to pick me up some white Lithium grease from a local DIY store and they dont have it! Who would have thought its so hard to get some suitable grease for my pedals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I ideally want to drive down to a shop not place another order online and wait for delivery :)

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    literally, any grease will do. You could even just oil the threads.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I just use stuff from a big pot of LM car grease you can get from Halfords.

In fact I also use it for headsets and wheel bearings and have been using the same pot for years, in fact over a decade! (Not sure of the shelf life of this sort of stuff, perhaps I need to get some more, although it looks okay and runs smoothly)
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    (Not sure of the shelf life of this sort of stuff, perhaps I need to get some more, although it looks okay and runs smoothly)

it's already spent several million years under the ground - it's probably good for a few more millennia....
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    check ebay

you can get a weldtite grease gun with a tube of TF 2 grease for a tenner

smells and feels the same as the blue grease hope uses

or finish line teflon, expensive, and is smooth but goes funky if exposed to water for too long
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    If you want to do it properly, copperslip for anti seizing. Moly for everything else.

Don't use copperslip on mioving parts as its slightly abrasive.

Buy a tub of it for a tenner form yoyur local motor factor (Halfords will do it if you aren't near a m/f), it'll last you years
  • Thanks for all the advice people :D Great forum I read my first cycling plus last month and havent looked back since

Alan
  • Why would grease stop threads seizing when it is a lubricant intended to reduce friction as you tighten up?

Add some good quality anti-seize compond to your grease. Loctite sprayable Anti-Seize Compound is good for this purpose.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I use copperslip on pedal threads and cleat bolts. Everything else gets grease when assembling.
  • coopsman1
    coopsman1 Posts: 337
    DON'T USE GREASE!!

grease is for reducing friction between moving parts.

What you need is anti-seize, this is used for static bolts. This way your pedals will not seize in the crank arms.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    keef66 wrote:
    I use copperslip on pedal threads and cleat bolts. Everything else gets grease when assembling.

Yes, me too. However I only use it because I've got a big tin of it left over from when I had wire wheels on our AH Sprite. Any lubricant is fine. Pedals are very unlikely to unscrew in use - that's why they have left and right hand threads.

To suggest lubricating a normal thread is a bad idea certainly isn't my experience. I keep my spoke nipples in a bath of thin oil when I build wheels and I don't have spokes coming loose and they're easy to remove/adjust if necessary ... and they're easier to get the tension right.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    estampida wrote:
    check ebay

you can get a weldtite grease gun with a tube of TF 2 grease for a tenner

smells and feels the same as the blue grease hope uses

or finish line teflon, expensive, and is smooth but goes funky if exposed to water for too long

This the red stuff? Tried to buy it in my LBS and they said it's too good, they prefer to sell the cheaper lithium white grease. One tip with this grease, cut the tube open when it seems empty, you'll be surprised how much is left.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    coopsman1 wrote:
    DON'T USE GREASE!!

grease is for reducing friction between moving parts.

What you need is anti-seize, this is used for static bolts. This way your pedals will not seize in the crank arms.

I have used LM grease for 30 years and never had a pedal seize. I think I'll keep taking my chances! :D
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    +1 for Copperslip. I use it on most threads to avoid seizing. A tube is less than a tenner and worth the investment.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pseudonym wrote:
    literally, any grease will do. You could even just oil the threads.

+1...... I agree ANY oil or grease will do. Whatever you have on hand.
  • Use Copperslip. On a winter bike, take a spanner to the pedals, remove them and re-apply copperslip. Summer bikes once a year.