Trance down tube protection

Bishbosh10
Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
edited August 2011 in MTB buying advice
Evening all,

I have already fitted a clear self adhesive down tube protector to my new Trance but given the thinness of the tube wall I am wondering if a more robust guard is warranted for when the inevitable rock gets flicked up into the tube.

I have seen a carbon fibre one on ebay that looks the part but the reviews are not so hot so will avoid that one.

Anyone got any recommendations or am I worrying over nothing?
2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.

Comments

• bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    I seen the carbon ones too on ebay a while back after picking up a few dings on the down tube, brought some sticky back carbon for about a fiver to attempt to do the job,but cant quiet get it to cover round the bends well enough,where did you see the reviews for the ebay ones ?, i was thinking about getting one at some point
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    There was a thread on STW, just read the Ebay feedback that'll put you off..
    Nicolai CC
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's not as fragile as you would think it is. As I don't really care about my bikes cosmetic appearance I don't bother with any protection.
    After a year of hard riding on rocky & rooty trails with plenty of large rocks flying up & hitting the underside of my frame there is still not even a scratch. The only marks on the frame are from cable rub & heel rub plus one chip where dropped a hammer on it in the garage.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Well mines over three years old now and never had a problem
  • I own one of the carbon guards off ebay (have it on my remedy) the carbon quality is fairly appauling but it does do its job fantasticly.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    After a year of hard riding on rocky & rooty trails with plenty of large rocks flying up & hitting the underside of my frame there is still not even a scratch. The only marks on the frame are from cable rub & heel rub plus one chip where dropped a hammer on it in the garage.
    i suppose it depends where you ride, i picked up two fair size chips on the down tube the first time i took it out, at ladybower , my old gt suffered the same with a dent 5mm across