Shimano RS10 v RS30

markybhoy67
markybhoy67 Posts: 346
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
I am looking to get a second set of wheels as I am doing a supported LEJOG this year and would like the security of having a second set of wheels in case a spoke goes.

I currently have RS10's on a Cannondale Synapse the now.

I am looking purely at Shimano's as I would imagine if I swapped wheels over I would not have to tweak the gears if both cassettes where the same sizes, I also don't know much about gears...yet

My question, is there a great deal of difference between the wheels? If not then I could just pick up another set of 10's as they have been fine for me so far.

I am looking at keeping the RS10's for work and the RS30's for weekend rides once I have completed LEJOG.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    According to this

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 747458.pdf

They have different rims and different nipples (preumably different spokes as the rims have different profiles).

I think the RS30s are supposed to be a bit more aero, but are also a bit heavier (possibly slightly more robust?). There is very little difference really.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    markybhoy,

+1 the above.

The RS30s are more aero (as in deeper rims) but a bit heavier. You could go for RS20s as they are midway between the others in rim depth. However Merlin are doing RS10s for £95!!

My (not particularly scientific) thoughts are that if you're averaging less than 20mph then surely the aero benefit of deep rims are marginal when compared to the lighter weight of more traditional rims?

Good luck on LEJOG!

Regards, EarlyGo
  • Thanks for the replies and for the good luck message.

I will rephrase my question as maybe I never explained it properly.

Will RS30's make me go faster than RS10's for the same effort?

At the moment, I can average 22mph on my 10 mile commute to work, I am up to an 19mph average for my 100 mile weekend run (Computer time stops when I stop for breaks)

The thing is I don't know anything about different types wheels, spokes etc.

I just wanted to get a second set of wheels that would maybe be an upgrade on what I have and keep them for my weekend rides.

Is there a faster set of wheels in the same price bracket as a set of RS30's ? (under £140 on merlin cycles)

Or is the difference so minimal that I am as well just getting another set of RS10's?

Thanks again
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Run the RS10, while you are saving up for a set of RS80's, at least that should be a noticeable jump in performance even allowing for the placebo effect.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    19 miles an hour for 100 mile runs sounds very quick to me.

If you are going that speed then the slight aerodynamic advantage of the RS30s may come into play. Don't expect a large improvement, most of the drag is down to you as a rider. However, the two wheels are similarly priced. The RS30s look quite funky too.
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Just changed my fulcrum racing 7's for some RS30's and I love them.

They look great as they have that aero look about them, the red nipples and flat aero spokes look good as well.

They spin much smoother than the fulcrums, this is prob down to them having loose
    bearings opposed to sealed. Personally im a big fan of loose ball bearings as you can service and adjust them.

I also hated the clicky noise of the freehub on the fulcrums, sounded like a pissed off rattle snake. :-) the RS30's are nice and quiet.

Good set of wheels and at £150 ish not expensive.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I've just changed my RS10's for RS80's, had RS20's on my old bike too.

The RS80's are excellent and do offer a marked improvement over the RS10's, don't know about aero affect, but they spin up quicker and climb better 8)
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    I've just changed my RS10's for RS80's, had RS20's on my old bike too.

The RS80's are excellent and do offer a marked improvement over the RS10's, don't know about aero affect, but they spin up quicker and climb better 8)

RS80's are the dogs but sadly a bit out of my price range or id have got them for sure.