Shimano Flight Deck - seems to good to be true

mikebikemike
mikebikemike Posts: 166
edited August 2011 in Workshop
I would like a computer for my road bike with a cadence measure. I saw that the Shimano Flight deck doesn't require sensors on the cranks. Seems great but there's limited info on chain reaction etc.
Has anyone any experiences with this?
Will it work with any Shimano groupset?

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    it is virtual cadence calculated by speed and gear ratio. it shows cadence even if you stop pedalling but isnt really a problem.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    It's weirdly unpopular. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it''s generally perceived as "dumbing down" by people who are terribly serious about their "stats". I had one when I last used Shimano gears and I quite liked it. I have no interest in cadence generally, but I was quite impressed that someone thought to make the calculation, and it seemed a bit like magic, for a moment. It strikes me that that's the best you can ask for a modern electronic device, things which have the lifespan of a damsel fly.
  • mikebikemike
    interesting. Using my amazing powers of observation, after 3 moonths of not noticing, I noticed on this mornings road ride that my 105 shifters have "flightdeck" written on them. Using my other amazing super power of deduction, I suspect that my shifters are in fact Flightdeck compatable.
    Is a Flight deck computer easy to fit and calibrate as sadly I lack mechanic super powers?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    interesting. Using my amazing powers of observation, after 3 moonths of not noticing, I noticed on this mornings road ride that my 105 shifters have "flightdeck" written on them. Using my other amazing super power of deduction, I suspect that my shifters are in fact Flightdeck compatable.
    Is a Flight deck computer easy to fit and calibrate as sadly I lack mechanic super powers?

If you can operate a screwdriver and can wrap bar tape, you'll be fine.
  • mikebikemike
    ta for that p tucker. Now to find a stockist - Chainreactin have the unit but possibly not the mounting kit
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I found plenty of stockists on ebay. All US based. The mounting kit isn't cheap.

I'm going to investigate further though - looks very interesting.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    As mentioned previously to mount a FlighDeck computer means retaping the bars which is the hardest job. To connect ot the shifters you peel back the hoods and unscrew the blanking plate and screw the cable to both of the shifters and mount the bracket to the bars.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Prepare to open the biggest can of faff you can imagine.. Unpopular because of the innumerable variations of kits, difficulty in set up, unwrapping of bar tape when something stops reading, file under 'good idea but..'
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The march of technology has overtaken the Flightdeck. You can get much cheaper wireless cadence / HR computers without all that faff. They just won't tell you what gear you're in.