Fury 2009/10 Vs Fury 2011

Sysmic Wave
Sysmic Wave Posts: 4
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,

I'm a bit of a newbie but having started to cycle more and more I decided that I wanted a nicer bike.

Having read the reviews on this site I've pretty much made up my mind that a Carrera Fury is for me. Unfortunately I don't know whether to wait for the new model (released in September 2011 I believe) or buy the tried and trusted 2009/10 model!

I'm bowing to far superior knowledge here, but after looking at the specs of the old and new bikes, should I wait that little bit longer for the new one?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The older model had the Tora 318 fork - this performs better in the rougher stuff than the Epicon, but is heavier. The old model also had better drivetrain parts.

If you plan to ride pretty hard, I'd get the older model.

The 2012 has an even lowlier fork and parts.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I have a current fury and love it - very tough, good fork, and capable of everything I've thrown at it so far. How about picking up a bargain if you can?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • chopchop
    chopchop Posts: 158
    I bought a Fury a month or so ago and I am well impressed with it. It's performed admirably on the Wall, quick and light up the hills and controlled down the singletrack. It's not having a look in since I bought a FS Giant though, my old and fat a** copes much better with a rear shock.

I don't think the new one will be as good value for the price with inferior kit though,it will be interesting to read some reviews when it's released.
  • Bottster
    Bottster Posts: 18
    The older models currently still on sale have the Epicon fork. Not aware of any models currently available with the Tora?

New models look nice but i don;t think the spec is as good personally.
  • supersonic
    The one before the EPicon model had a Tora 318, some stores still have them.
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    Iv got the fury 10 and its taken a severe hammering since last year but holding up well.
    So much so that its keeping up with lap's, spesh and giants that are 5 times more expensive.
    With the new model you have to think of the 2 X10. Ideal for mountain biking but if you are using it for commute etc etc, you might run out of gears on the road.
  • Bottster
    Bottster Posts: 18
    supersonic wrote:
    The one before the EPicon model had a Tora 318, some stores still have them.

That's interesting thanks Supersonic, i have made about 80% of my purchases based on the recommendations you have given on here and they have all proved right (thank you for some great advice!) but on this occasion i think you may be asking a bit much for him to track down a Fury with Tora's on as most stores don't even have any of the model with the Epicon on. :wink:

Whats your opinion on the new 2011 version in general as it's such a massively different bike to the previous one?
  • supersonic
    AH, I may have misread his originally post, I assumed he had seen the Tora one.

Well, the new Fury has 2x10 drivetrain. Whether for better or worse it is a selling point that they will push, and no doubt the punters will love. Fork is a downgrade, but at least still is air sprung and damped.
  • Thanks for the feedback.

Let me see if I've got this right.

The current model came with two different forks (Tora and Epicon) and the Tora was the better of the two. However finding a Tora forked Fury might be difficult?

The Epicon forked Fury is better than the fork on the new 2011 model?

Cheers
  • supersonic
    The Tora equipped model was before the Epicon model.

I'd take the Epicon model over the new 2011.
  • Gibbo GTI
    Gibbo GTI Posts: 98
    The Tora 318 forks were fitted to the '08 model although Halfords were still selling them August last year.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The one with the toras had a black frame. The next (two?) model years had a white frame and epicon forks. Both had a very good spec for the money.

The new 2012 model doesnt look as well specced in some areas, so the older one with the white frame is imo the better choice.
  • Thanks, i'll have a look around for the current white one!