what are the other equivilants of canyon nerve xc7 ?

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
Am looking to buy the canyon nerve XC 7 but still deciding.

What are the other equivalents of the canyon spec wise from other other brands such as specialized, giant, trek, all the major known brands.

Comments

• xand_xand
    xand_xand Posts: 271
    plenty of xc mtb outs there to choose from but i think the general consensus is that you will probbaly struggle to find as good a spec mtb for the same money - Canyon have some good prices at the mo which comes from their direct online selling policies.

Just means you cant get to sit on one first and try it out.....for size, style, ride.
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Halfords' Boardman range is the only one that comes close in terms of value.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    vim147 wrote:
    Am looking to buy the canyon nerve XC 7 but still deciding.

What are the other equivalents of the canyon spec wise from other other brands such as specialized, giant, trek, all the major known brands.

Not at the same price point, as Canyon sell direct.
  • vim147
    leaflite wrote:

I wasn't talking in terms of money but spec wise, I.e specialized Camber, giant anthem.
  • leaflite
    The camber pro has a fairly similar spec, but is £1900 (RRP £2200). Also, it has own-brand finishing kit rather than the good quality branded stuff on the canyon
  • toasty
    vim147 wrote:
    leaflite wrote:

I wasn't talking in terms of money but spec wise, I.e specialized Camber, giant anthem.

If you spend about 50% more, all brands offer similar specs to the Canyons.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/stumpjumper-fsr-elite-2011-mountain-bike-ec024991

Stumpy Elite isn't far off too.

Anthem X4 has always been quite good value, don't normally see Floats at that price point. The rest of the kit suffers though.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    leaflite wrote:
    The camber pro has a fairly similar spec, but is £1900 (RRP £2200). Also, it has own-brand finishing kit rather than the good quality branded stuff on the canyon

The spesh finishing kit is perfectly fine, just because it doesn't have another badge on it doesn't mean its instantly crud, and all we're talking about here is bars/stem/seat/seatpost which are negligable at best in terms of performance and weight, ok if it needs to be changed due to fit then fine but you could have the same with branded gear.

Same with my Whyte it has its own kit on it but its all good stuff.
  • toasty
    It does sometimes mean it's instantly crud, definitely not in the case of Specialized though I agree :) They make some really top notch finishing kit.
  • vim147
    Do you think the XC7 with 120mm would be enough for places like Swiss alps or would a AM with 150mm be better?

I won't be into crazy drops and jumps or speeding desents. Just don't want to feel let down by the bike. My mind keeps swaying towards the XC7 at 12kg.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Toasty wrote:
    It does sometimes mean it's instantly crud, definitely not in the case of Specialized though I agree :) They make some really top notch finishing kit.

Oh of course, its just the way he said it made it sound that unless it says Thomson, Easton, Hope etc on it then it's crap which is a silly silly comment.
  • leaflite
    Briggo wrote:
    Toasty wrote:

Oh of course, its just the way he said it made it sound that unless it says Thomson, Easton, Hope etc on it then it's crap which is a silly silly comment.

What I meant is that if the finishing kit(or any other part of the bike for that matter) is branded, you can find reviews and work out how good quality that part is and how well it performs. Even though the unbranded finishing kit may be excellent, it is often a bit of an unknown quantity in terms of weight etc