garmin

w2darren
w2darren Posts: 51
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
i'm looking for a new bike computer that i can easily exchange between a road and mtb bike,

requires little set up
is accurate

Has anyone any advice on the garmin 500 or 800, are they worth the money,

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance
darren

Comments

• gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    There are loads of posts on the forum for both of these models.

The general consensus seems to be - if you need maps the 800 is for you,

I've got the 500 and find it a fantastic but of kit. I bought it as a package with the HRM strap and two cadence senors, which I had fitted to my "best" bike and my, now sold, winter bike. Its simple to switch between the two bikes on the unit and the 500 picks up the sensor/HRM strap as soon as these are in use.

The device can show loads of data over a series of screens which you can set to scroll on a timer. I keep things simple with only a few items visible. However, post ride is where it really comes into it's own. I use Garmin Connect which shows maps of the routes I have taken with all sorts of other data such as Hate Rate, elevation etc.

the units are also ANT+ compatible so are able to link up with various power metres.

There's a post on Cake Stop where one lucky buyer was able to get hold of a 500 with extras from Blacks for £99! Jammy git!!
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You can buy two separate bike computers a lot cheaper than the Garmin 500 or 800 if you dont want GPS of course
  • simpoman
    simpoman Posts: 29
    the 'jammy git' is currently selling his edge 305 on eBay. not very different to garmin 500, except size. Would not have swapped if at full price

simpoman (aka jammy git)
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    simpoman wrote:
    the 'jammy git' is currently selling his edge 305 on eBay. not very different to garmin 500, except size. Would not have swapped if at full price

simpoman (aka jammy git)

I'm not jealous really!!! :wink:
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg