toe clips

adamCCC
adamCCC Posts: 26
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

Im relatively new to mountain biking, ive decided that i need some toe clips.

Ive got a carrera fury bike, do any mountain bike toe clips fit to any pedal? (usually?)

Theres a decathlon nearby, are these any good? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-resin ... 171996235/ im thinking no as they are so cheap!

Also going to get this today http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 42552#dtab as my tube is done!

any advice will be much appreciated

thanks

Comments

• BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    IMO toe clips are bloody dodgy and went out with the ark!! Why do you feel you need some? Especially on a mtb?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do you have a death wish? seriously dont bother.

but if you insist then they all do the same job of keeping your feet strapped to the pedals so you can not remove them.

if you want connection get so SPD pedals and shoes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • adamCCC
    i was thinking about them as a cheaper alternative to buying new pedals and new shoes.

i live in northern ireland, so its alllllways wet and very slippery

ive currently got these mudguards, http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cru ... query=crud

could you recommend a front mudguard? i cant find the front one of this set
  • adamCCC
    just guna go with the crud one.

going to need a new back tyre soon, could anyone reccomend one from the following?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/offe ... RatingDESC

i use the bike for a mixture of off road and toe path
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    Iv got a 10 Fury and I use toeclips.
    I would love SPD's and shoes but mortgage and family comes 1st.
    I dont understand why people slag them off. Iv used them for years.
    I use plastic toeclips but if the 09 use the same pedal as the 10 then you have to put the left pedal on the right and vice versa as the pedal will be upside down and the toe clip wont fit. Take the shafts out of the pedal and swap as its different threads on each side.
    As for tyres, Iv got Maxxis advantage on. Never given me a problem.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I dont understand why people slag them off. Iv used them for years.

I used them for years as well and would never suggest them now as there are SPDs available and good flat pedals and excellent shoes.

stopped using toe clips in 97 and will never go back. they are horrendous.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    haha, i used toe clips back in the 90's too
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    adamCCC wrote:
    i live in northern ireland, so its alllllways wet and very slippery
    I live in North Wales, and ride through mud, rain, crud snow and ice. Decent pedals aren't slippery, or expensive.
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    I starting using them early 90's and the metal 1's with leather straps were bad as your feet def didnt come out but the plastics with nylon straps suit my riding.
    Only problem is they look awful.
    If I bought an expensive bike I probably would buy shoes and pedals or am I being so vain???
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Riding has changed a lot. They were OK when mountain biking was effectively riding fireroads and the like.
    I tried them briefly again a few years ago as I still use them on my road bike, but was a failed experiment. Stupid things are always upside down when you need to start from a difficult spot, or need to dab.
    Decent flats are a gazillion times better.
    Can't speak for SPD's as never felt the urge.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools