Hollowtech II chainset options

Doombrain
Doombrain Posts: 360
edited July 2011 in Workshop
im trying to upgrade parts on my Bmc before I finally do the frame. I'd like to put a lighter chainset on but have no idea if I can get something that will plug right into my hollowtech II BB

Can I get something like a fsa carbon chainset to fit my 10 speed without changing the BB?

If I have to change the BB will there be a weight saving from the ultegra double?

Ta.
LOL road riding.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    it's important to note that there isn't really a "BB" as such on these cranks / bikes - there are just 'cups' which screw into each side. On shimano and FSA (and a lot of others) these 'cups' contain the bearings through which the axle, which is part of the drive-side cransket - is pushed through. Campag is similar but the bearings themselves are on the axle to begin with and the 'cups' are even more basic.

none of the 'cups' in shimano raneg are particlaurly heavy - you may get "better" bearing materials in the higher ranges though.

apologies if you knew this - but what I am trying to say is that if you are replacing parts onthe frame and are willing to renmove the crankset, then it's just a small step further to replacing the 'cups' as well.

now to answer your question - yes, and er... no

FSA used to standardize on 19mm axles which required their own proprietary 'cups' but they have since raised their axle size to the same standard as shimano (which I think is 24mm) - so these newer sets would work with the exisiting shimano hollowtech cups.

i stil think you should aim to replace the whole lot thought.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    oh - and most FSA chainsets are sold inclusiive of the BB cups - they call it "mega-exo".
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    There are compatibility issues with certain models of FSA, the Hollowtech ll won't work with the FSA SLK light.
    I was told it would but the subject was raised on here and you can't, if you google it you'll find out why.
    You get an FSA BB wiith the chainset and they're fine.