New bike being order tomorrow, question re tyres

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
New bike being order tomorrow. Went with an LBS in the finish as they will swap the cassette over at no extra charge and build the bike with my wheels, set it all up plus throw in a 6 week and 6 months services. Plus I get piece of mind with them being just up the road.

Question, do I stick with the Conti 700x25c Gatoskins I have on my wheels at the moment or take them off and let them fit the new Continental Ultra Race folding 700x25c? Any opinions?

Hopefully will have the bike for the gathering on Saturday. So you can all laugh at me as I ride round RP getting used to drop for the first time!

New bike make me happy :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've never tried the Ultra Race Folding, I'd go for Gatorskins, you can't really go wrong with them
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    what bike?
  • sketchley
    Genesis Equilibrium 20
    --
    Chris

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Nice one Sketchley. What've you gone for? Whats the n+1 so your don't go through no-bike again

EDIT: Beaten to it
  • clarkey cat
    Real men ride steel. Like it.
  • sketchley
    n+1 is either the warranty return or another frame and build the old one. I don't like having a box of bits!

Ref Warranty Evans has said a firm no as I don't have original reciept. Have e-mailed specialized to see what they say.
    --
    Chris

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Sketchley wrote:
    n+1 is either the warranty return or another frame and build the old one. I don't like having a box of bits!

Ref Warranty Evans has said a firm no as I don't have original reciept. Have e-mailed specialized to see what they say.

Thats poor as surely they have a copy of the original receipt.
  • sketchley
    JZed wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Thats poor as surely they have a copy of the original receipt.

No records are not kept that far back they looked it up on computer and no record. I do have copy of C2W invoice from them to my company says my name on it too. It's also registered with Specialized hopefully they'll do something.

To be honest though not that bothered now that new bike is on it way.
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    Genesis Equilibrium 20

Them sure are purty bikes. I've never tried either tyre, but it comes down to the usual tough vs. light conundrum, in this case I'd stick with tough, as there's not really that much difference in weight.

Enjoy the Equilibrium.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sketchley wrote:
    Evans has said a firm no as I don't have original reciept. Have e-mailed specialized to see what they say.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/t ... explained/
    if the customer has lost their receipt but is able to offer other evidence, for example, a bank or credit card statement, packaging etc, then you must accept this if it demonstrates the goods were purchased from you.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    dhope wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Evans has said a firm no as I don't have original reciept. Have e-mailed specialized to see what they say.

if the customer has lost their receipt but is able to offer other evidence, for example, a bank or credit card statement, packaging etc, then you must accept this if it demonstrates the goods were purchased from you.

Trouble is SOGA doesn't apply this is a warranty claim.
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    Bingo.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sketchley wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Trouble is SOGA doesn't apply this is a warranty claim.
    Surely it does, warranties and faulty goods are a huge part of SOGA?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Real men ride steel. Like it.

+1 - good choice
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Nice bike mate, ride to work and work to ride! Enjoy
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I use a Vitorria Rubino Pro on the front and Gatorskin on the rear (bike came like that). Both tyres are starting to get a little shredded with holes/scratches here and there but never had a puncture in around 1500 miles. Personally i'd go for the conti gatorskins simply because i trust them and the anti-puncture layering system is very reassuring. :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    23's?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cloggsy wrote:
    23's?

That's what I was thinking
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • sketchley
    Button Pushed. Should pick it up on Saturday. I'm sticking with the Gatorskins 25s for the moment. Not sure about 23's if anything I might up the rear back to 28 with me being the size I am.

equilibrium-20_angled.jpg
    --
    Chris

• cloggsy
    Sketchley wrote:
    Not sure about 23's if anything I might up the rear back to 28 with me being the size I am.

How 'big' are you?

I'm (currently) 16.5 stone and I ride on 23's!
  • sketchley
    Bit bigger. just shy of 18.

Problem with smaller tyres is you need much higher pressure to stop the wall collapsing under your weight. Higher pressure results in more vibrations which affects ride quality and can reduce traction. You may also find that given your weight you would be quicker on a bigger tyre.
    --
    Chris

• cloggsy
    Sketchley wrote:

Problem with smaller tyres is you need much higher pressure to stop the wall collapsing under your weight. Higher pressure results in more vibrations which affects ride quality and can reduce traction. You may also find that given your weight you would be quicker on a bigger tyre.

I run my 23's at 110psi, I don't have any issues with collapsing side walls etc...

I believe I'm quick enough too; I average 18 to 20mph on must rides...
  • clarkey cat
    funnily enough Sketchley I tried running at 120psi recently and found the road vibration really bad and ended up going slower. I dropped back down to 110psi and have a 25c on the front (23c on the back) at the moment and feel like I'm going quicker. I'm 15 stone.
  • sketchley
    Explained better here

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

For me approx rear wheel load is 65kgs (I'm yet to test it) so for a 25mm tyre I would need about 130psi and for 28mm about 108psi. Now currently I run my 25mm at around 115psi which is little low and therefore increasing rolling resistance a little from the ideal. I either need to increase pressure in my rear to tyre to the seeming high and probably quite harsh 130psi or I fit a 28 and run it at 108psi which should be quicker than the 25mm at 115psi as less rolling resistance.
    --
    Chris

• Ahem. Well? :roll:
  • sketchley
    Delivered to shop on Friday, didn't have time to build it Friday. Mechanic doesn't work Saturday. Driven to work today (that's was scary with all them cyclists around!) waiting for call to pick up the bike. Then I need to go home and fit extra bits then off for test ride ready for first commute tomorrow.
    --
    Chris

• Pah! I hate to wait. Even if it isn't actually my bike. ;)
  • sketchley
    It's ready. Picking it up at 4pm!
    --
    Chris

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Sketchley wrote:
    It's ready. Picking it up at 4pm!

I shouldn't be this excited about someone else picking up a bike.

*giddy* :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sketchley wrote:

Meh.

I'm 16stone and religiouly run my 23s at 121psi (OCD).

I have no problem with ride comfort, reduced traction or speed.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game