7 Week old bike... new brake cable?

tomkidd
tomkidd Posts: 19
edited July 2011 in Workshop
Hi folks,

Got my bike 7 weeks ago and have been loving it. I've done about 400 - 450 miles on it, and twice have got absolutely soaked. One ride was 5-6 hrs in constant rain! Bike has been cleaned meticulously each time after use.

My issue is now that my rear brake is notchy and sticking... I partially stripped it down last night and cleaned the cable, then reassembled and its still sticky.

Do you think I really need a new cable already? The cables are Shimano SLR cables so I thought they'd last longer than 400 miles/7 weeks.

If I replace them what would you suggest?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Did you squirt some light oil in, let it soak down using gravity and then give a few goes? That usually works for me.

Also, when you say it is sticky, have you tried it just with the cable attached to the shifters to eliminate the brakes themselves?

Sorry if you have done all this (sucking egges and all that).
  • tomkidd
    tomkidd Posts: 19
    Thanks for the reply, I've compressed the calliper myself with my hand to eliminate any issues there and that is fine, I've also held the cable with one hand and pulled the lever with the other and that is as smooth as a cashmere codpiece...

I might try the gravity technique next but I'm not sure if I can get the cable into a position where it would soak down.
  • cabbage1879
    cabbage1879 Posts: 113
    Did you re-grease the cable after you partially took it apart though?

You'd be better taking the whole cable out and greasing it in order for it to run smoothly.