Play at front end

MrJim007
MrJim007 Posts: 64
edited July 2011 in Workshop
Today i noticed a bit of play creeping into the front end of my bike. Whilst stationary and applying the front brake the bike rocks back and forth by approx 5mm or so. What do i need to do to fix it?
Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tighten the headset.

slacken stem bolts tighten top bolt tighten stem bolts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Exactly - 1/4 turn at a time until no rocking movement but 'bars still swing side to side with absolutely no force required at all.

If notchy, take apart as per posts passim, clean and grease up, put back together.

You may as well use this as an excuse to take all the bolts out completely, clean up, grease, reset head set bearings then torque bolts into place properly with a torque wrench.

HTH

Y
  • MrJim007
    MrJim007 Posts: 64
    Nice one, many thanks. Put a new stem on today so guess my cowboy job was not up to scratch!! :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MrJim007 wrote:
    Nice one, many thanks. Put a new stem on today so guess my cowboy job was not up to scratch!! :lol:

in that case make sure you have a gap.

fork11.jpg

if not add spacers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown