Velosport - Putney

notsoblue
notsoblue Posts: 5,756
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
New bike shop in Putney, near the bridge. Has anyone popped in there yet?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's run by a couple of Kingston Wheelers. They get everywhere.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    edited July 2011
    Looks cool from the website (http://velosport.co.uk/) but its always shut whenever I go passed. My LBS is open from 7 til 7 so I'm sticking with them for servicing etc. Interesting that Putney Cycles is only a few doors down and open later - they mustn't be aiming for the same market

Also in between the two there's a shop fit happening which will be home to Pedal Studio. I think they have plans for a Tri-shop, bike mechanic service, a turbo training studio and other stuff.
  • notsoblue
    I heard it has a Cafe attached? Would be good to have something like LMNH at the right end of town, for cycling related events etc...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    @JZed not sure they are fully up and running yet.

I'm going to pop in soon, be good to have a local place I can trust and they're a lot handier than Sigma.
  • jzed
    Not sure - looks fully open to me - just not extended hours.

Notsoblue - it mentions a coffee area and turbo area on the website. Think Putney would be ideal for a LMNH type place. The thought had crossed my mind last night.
  • notsoblue
    JZed wrote:

Notsoblue - it mentions a coffee area and turbo area on the website. Think Putney would be ideal for a LMNH type place. The thought had crossed my mind last night.

The lack of ironic moustaches would be refreshing too ;)
  • notsoblue
    edited July 2011
    JZed wrote:

EDIT: http://velosport.co.uk/
  • jzed
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Whats the URL? I can only find one for a Velosport Lincolnshire.

http://velosport.co.uk
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    Been in a couple of times.

Nothing like LMNH and not seen the evidence of cafe type bit yet, BUT, they do have hold a selection of bikes that are a bit different in a nice setting and are decent folk.

Got the mega-Viner bike and a British Ti brand called Qoroz i'd never heard of, but now very much have my eye on their track frame.

Bit strange opening there when Putney cycles have 2 branches / workshop and Holdsworth are on Lower Richmond Road, but they stock different brands than others. Think just pitching for higher end of the market. That said they also have some cheaper Italian brand to cater for wider market.

I liked it.

p.s. i want to open LMNH in Putters too. Although might make it more of a pub than a cafe. You know, cater more for the beer drinking classics season.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    timmyflash wrote:
    p.s. i want to open LMNH in Putters too. Although might make it more of a pub than a cafe. You know, cater more for the beer drinking classics season.

/Bannatyne

'i'm in; for the full amount'
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jzed
    timmyflash wrote:

I'm thinking that Richmond hill would be a good place. A cyclists pub, with a workshop, shop area, cakes and stuff like that could be a goer. Close to the park to pick up some trade. Some expensive carbon on show.

In fact managed to find a pub tenancy - just not the right area.
  • notsoblue
    timmyflash wrote:

I think it would do pretty well, lots of passing trade and its a very active area. LMNH was full to capacity for the stages of the Tour I watched there.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    sounds like theres quite a few of us round the LMNH area...although im moving offices in a few weeks :( ...watch out for my turn at a : "Route help!" thread :P

my local LBS is proper tiny, they dont actually sell bikes, just bits and servicing, which is perfect for me really..they are super helpful and open 7-7 most days
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    richVSrich wrote:
    sounds like theres quite a few of us round the LMNH area...although im moving offices in a few weeks :( ...watch out for my turn at a : "Route help!" thread :P

my local LBS is proper tiny, they dont actually sell bikes, just bits and servicing, which is perfect for me really..they are super helpful and open 7-7 most days

What shop is that?
  • jzed
    Chadders81 wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

What shop is that?

Sounds like London Cycle Workshop.

Notsoblue - looks like Pearson are opening up a shop in Sheen with Cafe and treatment rooms
    This project for a new shop for Pearson Cycles in Sheen near Richmond Park is currently on site and is due to open by the end of the summer. This is an addition to their existing shop in Sutton which is officially the oldest bicycle shop in the world. The ground floor will feature a small cafe and workshop as well as a sales area and treatment rooms on the first floor.
  • richVSrich
    JZed you are a frickin stalker!!!! :lol:

yeah London Cycle Workshop is my LBS :) they are brilliant.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    is that the one at the bottom of Roseberry avenue?
  • jzed
    richVSrich wrote:

Its 2 minutes from me, friendly, competitive and convenient opening hours. If only they had a bar. Come to think of it next door is empty. May have to pop in and suggest to Simon, :?

Clarkey Cat - its on St John's Hill in Clapham/Battersea
  • richVSrich
    JZed wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

Its 2 minutes from me, friendly, competitive and convenient opening hours. If only they had a bar. Come to think of it next door is empty. May have to pop in and suggest to Simon, :?

Clarkey Cat - its on St John's Hill in Clapham/Battersea

I think we must live so close to each other a bit ridiculous i havent bumped in to you properly. What do you ride again? no cycling this week (too much social) but i generally leave at 7 am and go down Plough Road..

but yeah, tell simon to expand into next door! :)
  • jzed
    richVSrich wrote:
    I think we must live so close to each other a bit ridiculous i havent bumped in to you properly. What do you ride again? no cycling this week (too much social) but i generally leave at 7 am and go down Plough Road..

Nope not ridiculous, I'm not up at 7am :lol: and I go the long way, so head out to Putney and then come back in on the NKR, on the way home I usual head out to the park.

White Planet X or yellow Trek MTB.
  • richVSrich
    JZed wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

Nope not ridiculous, I'm not up at 7am :lol: and I go the long way, so head out to Putney and then come back in on the NKR, on the way home I usual head out to the park.

White Planet X or yellow Trek MTB.

will keep and eye more, but sounds like we operate on different time zones :)
  • notsoblue
    JZed wrote:
    Notsoblue - looks like Pearson are opening up a shop in Sheen with Cafe and treatment rooms
    This project for a new shop for Pearson Cycles in Sheen near Richmond Park is currently on site and is due to open by the end of the summer. This is an addition to their existing shop in Sutton which is officially the oldest bicycle shop in the world. The ground floor will feature a small cafe and workshop as well as a sales area and treatment rooms on the first floor.

Aha, the old Prologue shop? Would be a nice spot for a cafe, especially if they can use the pedestrianised bit outside.