Gluing carbon?

amck111
amck111 Posts: 189
edited July 2011 in Workshop
So I managed to break a bit off my carbon fibre bottle cage, and was wondering what's the best stuff for sticking it back together?

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Cyano's the stuff (aka Super glue). Epoxy works too but cyano's easier, that's what I use when I'm building toy aeroplanes. Be careful when using it, the super thin stuff that cures fast goes everywhere if you're not careful - I have more ruined trousers than you can shake a stick at :)

Oh, and be aware it sticks skin better than anything else. Acetone (or nail varnish remover) dissolves it.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Hmmm - I would say no.

Super glue dries too rigid and brittle - parts of a bottle cage need to flex: I have feeling that if you stick it with super glue it'll just snap off.

I would say Araldite - bond it together better than new and provide an element of flexibility: admittedly Ive never used it on carbon but I used to use it to stick motorbike panels back together: they generally crashed better after being held together with Araldite than as new.

But that's only me - please don't hate me for doubting superglue!

HTH

Y
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I would have gone for Araldite (the slow version, not the rapid) because it is an epoxy resin and a close relative of the resins used in making carbon bits. It doesn't work as well on some of the more common plastics (like spectacle frames!)
  • amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    Thanks guys, I'll give Araldite a go and see how I get on. Hopefully save me having to buy a new bottle cage!
  • Geoff_SS wrote:
    Cyano's the stuff (aka Super glue). Epoxy works too but cyano's easier, that's what I use when I'm building toy aeroplanes. Be careful when using it, the super thin stuff that cures fast goes everywhere if you're not careful - I have more ruined trousers than you can shake a stick at :)

Oh, and be aware it sticks skin better than anything else. Acetone (or nail varnish remover) dissolves it.

Must be scary stuff dude!!
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    So I managed to break a bit off my carbon fibre bottle cage

Thank God they don't use carbon for bike frames :?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!