Route advice - Portsmouth to London

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
This weekend I'll be down seeing my sister in Portsmouth. Rather than drive back with the wife and kids as well as miss out on a Sunday ride, I thought I might cycle back to Wandsworth. Looking at a few routes it looks like roughly 70-80 miles but its not clear what a good route would be. I'm OK from Epsom to home but its the bit between the start and there that I need the help with. I think I can safely say I'd like to avoid Guildford if I can, plus too may hills. I was thinking of chopping this route up but any better ideas are welcome!

I've got a Garmin so I can program the route in and so don't need route cards
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    WR - davis is kindly seeing if he can come up with something to get me to Chichester. You could see if his suggested route is useful for you as Portsmouth is just down the coast from Chi. There is a thread bit further down.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Sounds good, will keep an eye out.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I would keep further east of Guildford, sort of Midhurst, Cranleigh, Leatherhead. May be a little more hilly but nicer countryside.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Followed a largely similar route when I rode up to the smoke on Good Friday. I wouldn't go over Portsdown though, if you want to avoid too many hills (!). I'd suggest you go east over to the bike path alongside the Eastern Road (you'll need to go down Norway Road as Burrfields Road bridge is closed), then Havant-Rowlands Castle-Buriton- Petersfield.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011