New Bike for LEJOG

drummer ian
drummer ian Posts: 165
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
hi guys,

Used this form several years ago for some advice with my mtb buying and have so far had many great years of riding from it! I am now also looking to getting a road bike of some variety so was hoping for some advice on this.

A friend and I are attempting our first LEJOG (lands end - john o'groats) in a months time and I feel i should buy a bike soon in order to get used to riding it before the big event! I currently ride a carrera fury for my MTB which i love, and have a random parts build mtb with slicks that I use for my commuter. I do alot of riding and have decided i want something with 700c wheels anyway for after LEJOG for a slightly faster commuter bike, my question is do i want a road or hybrid style bike?

We are doing the ride unsupported and will probably be camping light so ideally I will need pannier racks, although i am not fussed on making my own should this be required. My friend has just brought a Carrera TDK (the yellow one)?? to do the ride and I will be looking into something similar.

Don't mind second hand at all and I do all my own repairs. I am thinking the budget is around £400 and then will be spending £100-£200 on panniers and other such required bits and bobs i think of (lightweight tent). (any savings will probably go on better gear that will last a long time)

Any advice you guys have on this would be great!

Thanks

Ian

Comments