Small slit in road tyre. Replace or not?

Curious Yellow
Curious Yellow Posts: 281
edited July 2011 in Workshop
Hello all.

My road tyre has developed a small slit which may or may not have been responsible for a puncture. The slit is tiny, about 2mm in width. The puncture was a re-occurence of a previously repaired puncture in the tube. I'm not sure if the slit was what caused it.

According to Sheldon Brown, the tyre itself does not need to be airtight and small slits can be disregarded as long as it doesn't disfigure the tyre or cause the tube to bulge out through the tyre.

I've looked into repairing the tyre using a tyre boot but a new tyre only costs a few pounds more than a 3 pack of Park tyre boots. My current tyre has lasted me nearly two summers of riding so a replacement tyre is not a surprise, but what would you do in my position? Repair or replace?

Thanks.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Depends.

Look at the inside of the tyre. If that has been permanently damaged then replace.
    Quite often tyre cuts are superficial. In which case ignore.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You can improvise a tyre boot by cutting up an old toothpaste tube. Make sure you get two layers beneath the hole and you're away.

I have ridden tyres at over 100psi for thousands of miles in this way without failures (I am a make-do-and-mend sort of guy though!). Obviously I am just a sample of 1; I might be just lucky.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I'd repair it tbh. I've repaired a few different cuts in my rear tyre by just supergluing the cut, then sanding the excess dry glue off.
  • @daviesee What do you mean by permanent damage? The slit means I can see through the tyre if I poke at it. Is that what you mean? I can't see any great damage to the threads that hold it together.

@anto164 @DesWeller I'll get some tyre boots and have a go then. Not sure enough about my repairing abilities to use an old toothpaste tubes. Any tips for repair? Is it like repairing a puncture with glue, sandpaper and a patch?

Forgot to mention this. The slit is in the area that makes contact with the road, not the tyre wall.

Thanks guys.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Many decades ago the repair technique would have been with weatherproof black Bostik (mount tyre, inflate and fill the fissure as presented, means no tearing load on the repair). Superglue may be the modern alternative but probably isn't quite as flexible. I wouldn't bother about replacing the tyre just yet; not unless the tube starts to make a bubble on the outside!
  • Cool. I've got a bit of the punctured inner tube and some duct tape which is what I'm plumping for.

The Bostik sounds like a cool idea. Wish I knew where to get some! A quick search on the internet has proved to be fruitless.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    @daviesee What do you mean by permanent damage? The slit means I can see through the tyre if I poke at it. Is that what you mean? I can't see any great damage to the threads that hold it together.
    Thanks guys.

I mean if you can see daylight through the tyre when off the wheel and that hasn't repaired using superglue then I would replace.
    A section cut from an old tyre should be kept with a spare inner tube to get you home if you get severely cut up out on the road. Simply insert it inside the tyre at the cut. It may be a bit bumpy but it will get you home.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.