Stage 20 TT Spoilers

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    afx237vi wrote:
    Hincapie rides to Paris on the winning team for the 9th time.

That's got to be a record, non?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    Hincapie rides to Paris on the winning team for the 9th time.

And he still found time to help Cav to ten stage wins.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Stage placings for Cadel this Tour. That is also amazing. Consistency is an under-appreciated skill.

1 st
    3 2nds (inc. TTT)
    2 3rds
    1 4th
    2 5ths
    1 6th
    Contador is the Greatest
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    well, I was enjoying the Cadel interview until itv4 started buffering, gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2011
    Pretty sad shot. I think the two brothers angle is great - I really liked them originally just for that as found it very touching.

Getty
    f71a7b4963607bef4e1d532dee6651b3-getty-_.jpg

Im out, good day. Back to watch Cav crush them tomorrow.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Luckao wrote:
    Does this mean Leopard will go dark for a year? They should throw themselves at the Vuelta.
    Andy and Frank don't do no stinking Spanish race :wink:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Mettan wrote:
    To be fair, but for Andy's bad rain day it would have been much closer... - but - fundamentally, and ultimately, Cadel can do a monster TT (which he did brilliantly well today), while the most exciting rider (for me), namely Andy, can't at the moment - Andy needs drastic work on his TT'ing - not sure whats going to happen with him regards this....To be fair to Cadel, that could have been his last chance, and he took it with a monster TT - massive display of power, grit and determination - full credit to him - a great tour, a good finish, good TV.

Assuming Contador gets banned, I can see Andy winning next year even without improving his time-trialling. With Evans, Basso and Sanchez in their mid-30s, who's going to be able to make up the time lost in the mountains on a TT?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    It's the post rainbow jersey effect . Tour for Thor next year. :)
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Right
    I'm going for a beer to calm me nerves
    Peter
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    johnfinch wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    To be fair, but for Andy's bad rain day it would have been much closer... - but - fundamentally, and ultimately, Cadel can do a monster TT (which he did brilliantly well today), while the most exciting rider (for me), namely Andy, can't at the moment - Andy needs drastic work on his TT'ing - not sure whats going to happen with him regards this....To be fair to Cadel, that could have been his last chance, and he took it with a monster TT - massive display of power, grit and determination - full credit to him - a great tour, a good finish, good TV.

Assuming Contador gets banned, I can see Andy winning next year even without improving his time-trialling. With Evans, Basso and Sanchez in their mid-30s, who's going to be able to make up the time lost in the mountains on a TT?

Evans, again. Be hard to get a more Schleck friendly Tour than this year and he didn't manage to get enough of a gap on him.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Bronzie wrote:
    Luckao wrote:
    Does this mean Leopard will go dark for a year? They should throw themselves at the Vuelta.
    Andy and Frank don't do no stinking Spanish race :wink:

Themselves and Sky appear to communicate in some alien tongue where 'Tour' is the only word.
  • Awesome 3 days of racing. Superb
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Awesome 3 days of racing. Superb

Hate to break this to you, but you appear to have missed most of the Tour ;)
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    well done Cadel

loved the bunny hop / jump he did about 2/3rds of the way through, styling it up :D
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Cavendish very good on the mic. Top guy.

yeah, I think he might actually be maturing and getting a bit of class. He's been worth listening to this year for the first time ever

For me, the turning point with Cav was last year's Commonwealth Games. The way he just buried himself was quite amazing.

If you follow Cav on twitter, he's actually quite a funny, articulate guy. I reckon he has made a lot of friends through the 'new media'.

Cav in green tomorrow will round off a great tour for me. Everyone a worthy jersey winner, loved the new points system, and the mountains jersey should naturally be won by someone high on GC.

So except a fairly underwhelming Pyrenees, I rate this a great race. Every stage since second rest day been great.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Well done Cadel. I am very pleased for him.

I'll be watching the final stage live tomorrow and screaming for Cav to destroy all. Sprint! :D
  • SpaceJunk
    Here's a series of tweets from David Millar:

millarmind David Millar
    If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.
    3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

millarmind David Millar
    In team car being driven to hotel. Chatting to VdV & spot cyclist on autoroute ahead, dressed in full Europcar kit. Looks oddly familiar.

millarmind David Millar
    Chat stops, tell car to slow. As we pass have time to look into eyes of a tired and broken Voeckler. Tragic doesn't come close to describe.

:cry:
  • saintdracula
    saintdracula Posts: 232
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Here's a series of tweets from David Millar:

millarmind David Millar
    If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.
    3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

millarmind David Millar
    In team car being driven to hotel. Chatting to VdV & spot cyclist on autoroute ahead, dressed in full Europcar kit. Looks oddly familiar.

millarmind David Millar
    Chat stops, tell car to slow. As we pass have time to look into eyes of a tired and broken Voeckler. Tragic doesn't come close to describe.

?
    :cry:
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Sounds ominous........

Immediately thinking doping positive, obviously.

For him or Rolland?
  • SpaceJunk
    davelakers wrote:
    Sounds ominous........

For him or Rolland?

I think (and hope), you might be looking too deeply into Millar's account.

I read it (judging by a couple other comments) that TV was just so distraught he wanted some lone time. Maybe he thought he could get a podium place after all?

Put in a great ITT in nonetheless.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    davelakers wrote:
    Sounds ominous........

For him or Rolland?

Why? He couldn't just be devastated that he came so close to winning?!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    davelakers wrote:
    Sounds ominous........

For him or Rolland?

Or maybe just disappointment.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    What a day, what a race! A bottle of muscly Australian red on the dinner table tonight, Chin, Chin :D
    The older I get the faster I was
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    one thing we need to think about now is how they will take this over on the asylum.

They claim every win is done by a doped rider, and that you even have to dope just to get in last. Every bad day is either because riders are scared about getting caught and go clean, or bad dope.

Despite all that they claim Cadel is always the clean rider. That conflicts with the you can't win the tour without doping.

Will they all spontaneously combust over the thought of a clean winner :D:D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    sherer wrote:
    one thing we need to think about now is how they will take this over on the asylum.

They claim every win is done by a doped rider, and that you even have to dope just to get in last. Every bad day is either because riders are scared about getting caught and go clean, or bad dope.

Despite all that they claim Cadel is always the clean rider. That conflicts with the you can't win the tour without doping.

That load of idiots don't think he's clean. They don't think anyone's clean. They probably even think the paper boy is doping.

This has been a very bad Tour for them. It's been amusing to see them try and explain the reduced performances and times while still claiming they're doping as much as ever. There's nothing they hate more than cycling seemingly cleaning up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    But cycling isn't cleaning up!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Be interesting to see split times

I think Andy threw in the towel completely after the 2nd time check, if you look at how negotiates the roundabout just after it he looks all over the place.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    davelakers wrote:
    Sounds ominous........

For him or Rolland?

Maybe. In his post TT interview he seemed up beat and ok about his final placing..
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

That load of idiots don't think he's clean. They don't think anyone's clean. They probably even think the paper boy is doping.

This has been a very bad Tour for them. It's been amusing to see them try and explain the reduced performances and times while still claiming they're doping as much as ever. There's nothing they hate more than cycling seemingly cleaning up.

I'll head over tomorrow just for a laugh to see what they are saying now.

They've already come up with the reason the French are doing better, they are now doping. Although it didn't do Riblon a lot of good and if Ag2r are doing it Roche didn't do well either.

Anyway on a more serious comment, well done to Cadel on winning the tour and well done to Martin on a great TT
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Be interesting to see split times

I think Andy threw in the towel completely after the 2nd time check, if you look at how negotiates the roundabout just after it he looks all over the place.

I got the impression that he just blew up - but knowing (as he must have done) that Cadel had all but won the TT can't have helped the resolve. There's no way that Andy would have appreciated the idea that his TT had to be up there with Martin et al to keep the jersey. I think he knows his limits. Doesn't go to the limits sometimes perhaps but certainly knows where they are, at least in the matter of TT.

I really wanted Andy to win the Tour. I am so glad that Cadel did it so emphatically, at least there is no feeling of being hard done by (or cheated). A pity that Andy didn't manage his finish on the Alpe better to get the mountain points instead of Cadel and take that Jersey home instead.

A really gutsy ride from TV (and I am certain that he doesn't dope; 2nd div teams on the Tour don't need to, just being in evidence is enough for the sponsors.) He has always been like that.

Cav has done wonders for his public image in France this year, just by making himself available to journalists for interviews, even when he can't speak the language. I think Gerard Holz must love him. Today was another example, even when he wasn't in the show. I think he is being coached by Philippe Gilbert (and perhaps Thor!)