Stage 17 thoughts

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2011 in Pro race
After what was a good days racing, and having a look at tomorrows stage, it could be interesting.

While it seems likely people will wait til the last little hill to try anything, an interesting tactic could be to set a brutal pace up to Sestrières and reduce it down to a select group. I don't think the descent will be as critical but pouring the hurt on early tomorrow might not be a bad move.

Coz I'm a fanboi, I'd hope Liquigas do it, as it's going into Italy. Something like the Monte Grappa stage in the Giro last year where it ended up with a tiny elite group.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I'm right in thinking the Col de Pramartino is the one they used in the Giro in 2009 isn't it?

Di Luca launched himself up it that year and then flew off the top and into the finish. I'm going Sam Sanch but I think the idea of making it hard from Briancon to Sestrieres isn't a bad one.

Also, I'd love to see the Colle delle Fensetre in the Tour. You can but dream
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Thursday and Friday's stages loom large, so I think it more likely that the favourites will take it steadily whilst a breakaway stays away, much like the stage to Lourdes.

I hope I'm wrong though.