Tyres and inner tubes for "vintage" road bike

Miss Pootle
Miss Pootle Posts: 49
edited July 2011 in Workshop
We have a "vintage" road bike in our shed that is sitting there all unloved. We thought it'd be a laugh to do it up and ride it in the winter (has mudguards and actually looks like it might make a lovely audax or light touring bike). However, we are having an initial problem finding 27" x 1 1/4" tyres and inner tubes these days, and I have heard that sometimes what is labelled as 27" on the outside packaging is actually 700mm anyway. Does anyone have any recommendations / advice? Can I use 700mm tyres? What about the width? All suggestions grateful!

PS If you think we are being daft starting with the tyres you would be correct, but we want to just run it up and down the street once or twice before deciding in what order to tackling the other parts.

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You can muck about with tubes a bit - a 700c one would fit - but tyres needs to be the right size.

I find that SJS Cycles often have the slightly more obscure stuff - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-27-%28 ... pt203_pg1/
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Thanks for that advice, just what I needed to know! :)
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Wilkinsons have 27" tyres for bugger all. Try Asda as well
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    27 inch tyres aren't hard to find either. I use Panaracer Paselas on my old Raleigh - nice gumwall tyres that can be easily found online for about £20 a go; lightish with good puncture protection. For real period accuracy you can still get Michelin World Tour gumwalls for less than a tenner. The Raleigh had some ancient cracked ones of those on it which I put up with for a while. No puncture guard on those so best used on dry days only!

There are plenty of other options.

As for tubes - I get those from Wilkinsons. About £2.50 irrc - made by Kenda so perfectly decent.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks all, it seems there are more options than I thought, you just have to know where to look!

I like the idea of period accuracy, but I'm not sure I want to resurrect the lost art of regular puncture fixing as practised in the seventies. :wink: Maybe "vintage" tyres would look good on the final photo and be replaced by more puncture resistant ones shortly thereafter.

I am looking forward to restoring this bike. It reminds me how far we have come in bicycle design and materials in the last 35-40 years, yet at the same time how good the bicycle already was. I will also be interested to see what we think of today's hi-spec bikes in 30-40 years' time!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Miss,

I have two tyres which have perished a little - I lifted them off an old Raleigh Banana and I think they're 27". Other than perishment they have no holes etc. If you are prepared to pay for the postage you can have them for naff all just to test the bike over a couple of times before spending £££'s on what may be a lost cause. All I ask in return is that you help another cyclist in a similar fashion in the future.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.