First time in Paris

mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited July 2011 in Pro race
I am off to Paris this weekend - first time I have ever seen the TdF. Wondered if anyone had any advice so I can enjoy this special weekend properly.

Will be getting there on the Saturday in time for the ITT - any recommendations of any decent bars I can have a glass of red and enjoy what could be a critical stage.

And then the Sunday, any advice for the big day - I know 2 people who will be there, one near the Arc de Triumphe the other at the 1k to go banner. Oh and someone said I would have to pay to get to certain parts of the course - is this true?????

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Look back thru this forum - I've seen 3 or 4 posts the same.

From past experience - get there early, take chairs, a book, rain gear, sun lotion, water and food. and if lil tommy v wins it - it'll be busier than ever before !
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    The last time I was there to catch the last day of Le Tour in Paris was in the late 90s. There was also a football match I wanted to see that was on that week so I headed to the 'Frog and Rosbif' which is a bit of a British Pub but the barman at the time was, by strange coincidence, the brother of a chap I met at another football match in Mallorca earlier that year and was Scottish. Not a cheesy British pub but also populated by locals who were very much keen to converse with a couple of young footie and cycling fans. They would have gabbed about any sport to be honest and a friendly clientele.

My mistake was having some lunch around the Champs Elysee on TdF final day and sitting out by the kerbside. Two crepes with Nutella and two Cokes gave me no change from £30!! (and this was the 90s)

I think a Saturday afternoon there would be good to catch the ITT. I leave on Thursday morning for Paris. 8)

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    I can recommend bar 'Les Etages' in St Germain - corner of Rue Buci and Rue Gregoire de Tours; a bit shonky, service isn't great, smells a bit of drains but it's a lovely place to sit outside feeling very bohemian and Parisien. And they have a happy hour from 2-9pm each day. Alternatively there's Pub St Germain on Rue de l'Ancienne Comedie - that's the front, but if you go through to the other side there's quiet seating outside on a little old alleyway whose name I've never found out. Their happy hour is similar - finishes a bit earlier I think. And they seem to have a policy of lovely-looking waitresses, which never hurts... And if it's open, there's a floating bar called 'Six Huit' (68) on the Left Bank by Notre Dame (Quai Montebello). Last time I was there I had the surreal experience of watching loads of fully-uniformed Nazis walking about outside. I assume there was a movie shoot nearby.

Why go to Paris and seek out an 'English' bar? Seems a waste of the train fare, there are plenty of those here already...

As for the cost, best not to look - the exchange rate is, to all intents and purposes, parity (maybe even negative after commission), so a happy hour pint + cocktail for me & mrs is £12. Go to a non-happy hour bar and you could find it costs £15-£18 for 2 drinks. But then if you get your gusset in a bunch about it you might as well not go. Damn the torpedoes, worry about the overdraft later I say!
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell