Aleksandr Kolobnev (Katusha) tests positive in Tour

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I was saying this over dinner this evening - we're due a positive or two.

Do people care about this one? Can't say I have any reaction to this - just non.

*shrugs*

It is funny how some get the shittier end of the stick than others, happy to Contador bash until the cows come home even without official evidence and conviction, this fella gets caught red handed and nobody gives a sh*t.

Double standards for some out there in my book. :roll:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Riis almost matches the hog for the number of ex riders that have been caught doping.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    biggish name rider but I expect either the B sample won't be handled properly or some other techicality and he will be let off

Isn't doping a criminal offence in France now so if the French really want to stop this he should be arrested and sent to gaol.

What i'd like to see is one day a rider come clean and say how not just his current team but ex team and managers are all complicite in all of this, instead he'll get the sack and try and wriggle out of it and come back in a year
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Do people care about this one? Can't say I have any reaction to this - just non.

*shrugs*

It is funny how some get the shittier end of the stick than others, happy to Contador bash until the cows come home even without official evidence and conviction, this fella gets caught red handed and nobody gives a sh*t.

It's a question of scale. Kolobnev is decent rider but he hasn't won a race since 2007 - he's just another name on a long list. Contador, on the other hand, is the biggest name in the sport - he matters.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    His dope chat grates.

I'd prefer a Ligget and Sherwan style "he doped, it's a shame. Anyway, this château..."

Totally disagree. Ligget and Serwan's style totally brushes over the fact that cycling has a lot to still do to put its house in order. Harmon stands up for what he believes and I would prefer to listen to him all day every day.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Did I misunderstand/read to much into it. But I thought that Millar when interviewed (Sunday I think) implied that the crashes/melee for the front were a result of an levelling out of the peloton in terms of speed. Was I to infer drugs made the sport safer ;)

Alex Kol.... who?
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I didn't think so. I thought he just said it was faster and that people were taking more risks.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:

*shrugs*

It's a question of scale. Kolobnev is decent rider but he hasn't won a race since 2007 - he's just another name on a long list. Contador, on the other hand, is the biggest name in the sport - he matters.

Given his role in Vino's 2010 LBL win, I recon Gilbert might have other ideas :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196

*shrugs*

What you mean apart from the official evidence of an A and B sample failure?

As Rich said it is also scales. Contador is the biggest name in the current peloton, Kolobnev is a bit part player who chances his arm at the end of a race and gets caught plus I think most people expect Katusha riders to be doping so it's just expected.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    sherer wrote:
    biggish name rider but I expect either the B sample won't be handled properly or some other techicality and he will be let off
    He'll most likely try the Iljo Keisse approach (tested positive for same substance) and claim it was from a tainted supplement.
    sherer wrote:
    Isn't doping a criminal offence in France now so if the French really want to stop this he should be arrested and sent to gaol.
    Only if the Police can prove the doping occurred within France (ie caught with drugs in a team car rather than just testing positive for a substance he could have taken in another country).
    sherer wrote:
    What i'd like to see is one day a rider come clean and say how not just his current team but ex team and managers are all complicite in all of this, instead he'll get the sack and try and wriggle out of it and come back in a year
    Read David Millar's book. He shops Cofidis and Saunier Duval and told the UCI SD were upto no good.
  • It is funny how some get the shittier end of the stick than others, happy to Contador bash until the cows come home even without official evidence and conviction, this fella gets caught red handed and nobody gives a sh*t.

If Contador's positives had come out during the race and he'd withdrawn/been suspended by his team while he waited for his B sample to be tested, all the while protesting his innocence about a dodgy steak, maybe there would have been a similar reaction to Kolobnev positive, just a bit bigger to reflect their respective profiles.

For me, it was the fact that positives didn't come out until the end of September, that they appeared to be hushed up by the UCI and were eventually leaked by the Lab, that even having had 3 months to get his story straight it was so full of holes it was laughable, that his federation took until January to decide not to ban him, that the WADA/UCI appeal to CAS took so long to formulate and then was postponed until after this year's event, that we still don't know who won last year & even this years result could be changed.

That for me is why I would boo Contador if I saw him riding down my street and why Kolobev's ejection from the tour raises a 'meh'.
  • LeicesterLad

If Contador's positives had come out during the race and he'd withdrawn/been suspended by his team while he waited for his B sample to be tested, all the while protesting his innocence about a dodgy steak, maybe there would have been a similar reaction to Kolobnev positive, just a bit bigger to reflect their respective profiles.

For me, it was the fact that positives didn't come out until the end of September, that they appeared to be hushed up by the UCI and were eventually leaked by the Lab, that even having had 3 months to get his story straight it was so full of holes it was laughable, that his federation took until January to decide not to ban him, that the WADA/UCI appeal to CAS took so long to formulate and then was postponed until after this year's event, that we still don't know who won last year & even this years result could be changed.

That for me is why I would boo Contador if I saw him riding down my street and why Kolobev's ejection from the tour raises a 'meh'.

You just summed up my previous arguement on another thread, the whole saga is down to fu*k ups and delays from the UCI and CAS, so not really Contadors fault is.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,663

You just summed up my previous arguement on another thread, the whole saga is down to fu*k ups and delays from the UCI and CAS, so not really Contadors fault is.

Not Contador's fault? You mean apart from taking the drugs in the first place, correction, allowing the drugs to inadvertently enter His Holiness's bloodstream? And don't forget the ONLY reason the CAS hearing was delayed till AFTER the Tour was because Contador's legal team requested it. WADA were ready to go on June 6 or thereabouts, but conceded they could NOT enforce the hearing date set.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    Harmon will be especially whingey since he always goes on about how he likes Kolobnev, and how he's always 'so lean and muscular' all year round.
  • rick_chasey
    Why would you use HCT (the substance he was banned for)? It reduces blood volume and water retention by kidneys. Wikipedia also says that 95% of it ends up unchanged in your urine.

Presumably to go along more interesting drugs?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Why would you use HCT (the substance he was banned for)? It reduces blood volume and water retention by kidneys. Wikipedia also says that 95% of it ends up unchanged in your urine.

As Bronzie says, it;s also used as a masking agent and Shane Ward got caught using it a while ago too, along with another diuretic. Although why Ward would want to use steriods is beyond me..
  • rick_chasey
    What does it mask, steroids, EPO...?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    What does it mask, steroids, EPO...?
    I've been in the cyclingnews clinic this morning (I feel dirty) and I think the answer is: everything.
    It masks by diluting your urine, hence reducing the concentration of whatever metabolites are in it that you are trying to hide.
  • Pross
    davelakers wrote:

I feel unloved............. :(

I start a thread first and Im ignored.

All hail Ademort. :roll:

I think that's the difference a clear thread title makes :wink:
  • LeicesterLad

Not Contador's fault? You mean apart from taking the drugs in the first place, correction, allowing the drugs to inadvertently enter His Holiness's bloodstream? And don't forget the ONLY reason the CAS hearing was delayed till AFTER the Tour was because Contador's legal team requested it. WADA were ready to go on June 6 or thereabouts, but conceded they could NOT enforce the hearing date set.

Im not even that keen on Contador, im merely stating why is it one rule for one one rule for anohter, just because one of them has the class and talent to win races and the other doesn't. (don't say Contador wins through doping, because if that was the case, the rest of the Peloton would be winning race after race, Kolobnev Included. Yes, although it is unproven, Contador may have innitially took the substance, but as for Contadors fault for making a 'request'? Excuse me if i am wrong, but can you not say no to a request?

Notice the amount of 'oh poor Vino' after his crash, are we allowing him off the hook for being a cheat because his name is not Alberto?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Yes, although it is unproven, Contador may have innitially took the substance
    Aaaargh. It's proven. He hasn't even denied it. Because it's proven.
  • LeicesterLad
    Yes, although it is unproven, Contador may have innitially took the substance
    Aaaargh. It's proven. He hasn't even denied it. Because it's proven.

Sorry i should have worded that differently, i mean proven he took it intentionally...
  • Pross
    Intent is irrelevant.
  • LeicesterLad
    Pross wrote:
    Intent is irrelevant.

Like i said, i'm not argueing his Guilty, merely that he gets stick for things out of his control, and gets stick where others don't.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165

Like i said, i'm not argueing his Guilty, merely that he gets stick for things out of his control, and gets stick where others don't.

It has not yet been proved once and for all, that contador's clenbuterol ingestion was 'out of his control'.

he states he knowingly ate beef brought over the the border by a friend from an small store, that had been in the car all day, whe nhe could have had a nice fresh steak from a store down the road. The cow had been raised and killed in a country that has ZERO recorded contamination of beef.

At the least that shows extremely poor judgement from someone who knows they have to be careful of what they eat.

most likely source of clenbuterol, given all info, is from an infusion of previously stored blood.

this is not taking into account the plasticisers apparently found in his sample.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Pross wrote:
    Intent is irrelevant.

Intent is irrelevant, but knowledge of ingestion isn't.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    this is not taking into account the plasticisers apparently found in his sample.

Apparently is the right word. The plasticiser issue was never mentioned in the UCI report.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165

Apparently is the right word. The plasticiser issue was never mentioned in the UCI report.

I know, the cowards. just 'cos it's not approved yet!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    sampras38 wrote:

As Bronzie says, it;s also used as a masking agent and Shane Ward got caught using it a while ago too, along with another diuretic. Although why Ward would want to use steriods is beyond me..

It was Shane Warne...he claims he took it to supposedly lose some weight and improve his appearance. He got a 1 year ban for it.