New wheels needed

PinkSpider
PinkSpider Posts: 37
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
Can anyone recommend and possibly tell me what I need wheel wise; came out of my flat last night to find both my wheels had been nicked :( (from a secure area with an electric gate).. I've had a look on chain reaction cycles but no idea what I need, I think I possibly need a cassette, some discs and a wheelset?

Comments

• QR skewers needed too?
    Thats crap news mate :(

Whats your budget?
  • PinkSpider
    Yeah, will need them too.

Bit skinnt and really shouldn't be splashing out but can go up to £300 I suppose.

Also; shall be interesting when landlord come round as she is the one who stated we had to keep the bikes outside and is coming round to tell us off... shall be complaining about the security if we have to keep them in the parking area.
  • Whats the bike?

do you need 9mm, 15mm or 20mm front hub?

Is it 7,8,9 or 10sp cassette needed?

What size disks?
  • PinkSpider
    It's a Cube analog disc

Trying to figure out sizes but no idea... 9sp cassette though, can figure that out.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12407

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=443

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15263 x2 (160mm (natch)

£10 spare for some bacons :)

OR failing that, have a snoop round ebay for some hope hoops with xc orientated rims. do you need tyres too?

Why is the landlady coming to tell YOU off??
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • PinkSpider
    We've been storing the bikes in the flat (just outside in the hallway). Apparently we aren't allowed to keep them in the building at all and it's been noted. Going to just point her in the direction of my frame (and probably get all emotional).

And cheers; shall work out monies and probably get ordering tomorrow. Luckily a mates got three bikes (including my old one) so got something for the time being. Do need tyres but can handle that easily, did want some slightly slicker tyres so at least a decent reason to change :/

Also; how hard is it getting a wheel together? Not really done much bike stuff for a few years (used to change cogs on my old bmx a few years ago but nothing like getting a new wheel together).
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    if you order those wheels and cassetle, the wheels will be built, and they might even pop the cassette on too, they did for me once, didnt even ask! (if not its an easy job, youll just need the tools, or if you havent got them/space/time/inclination, your lbs will do it for the minimum labour charge) the rotors are simple bolt on bits.

just having a think, you might need the quick release axles too but they wont cost the earth.

id say to the landlady that although its her property, you live in it and as long as you give it back in the condition in which she gave it to you, you can keep what you like in it as long as you arent breaking any laws (check the tennancy agreement, bet it doesnt mention bikes) or just hide the bike when she comes round, as she has to give you 24hrs notice by law.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • PinkSpider
    Might pop CRC a email before order, asking if can build them for me (well put the cassette, QR and discs on). If not, shall have a go and if not there's a guy at work suppose can offer a few drinks as he used to work at a bike shop.

Also, thinking just keep it in my room from now on; everyone else in the flat owns bikes but there are different agents for each place. Need to get a turbotrainer too so can work out in front of the tv more.

Feel really lost without my bike :( Luckily mates lending me his road bike till can get mine sorted; a 10 minute ride to work is going to turn into a 45 minute walk.
  • Why not get a nice set of handbuilts from merling cycles?

£180 will get you some SLX hubs on either xm719 or or xc717 rims.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... c/list.htm
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Or the XT with WTB rims for 129.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Merlin have some XC717 on XTR 975 hubs for £219.95 (skewers included) in their handbuilt clearance section.

Not sure if they'll throw the VIP club discount on that too but it's gotta be worth a punt. ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • PinkSpider
    How do you get this discount? Just become single so bit better off and ordering tomorrow if can (oddly more concentrating on the bike than being single... do miss it)

Also got my mates cannondale for the time being; it has slicks on, can anyone recommend any cheap(ish) from Wiggle? Did enjoy getting home at a much speedier pace (will also get some chunkier ones for winter mind).
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    Merlin have some XC717 on XTR 975 hubs for £219.95 (skewers included) in their handbuilt clearance section.

Not sure if they'll throw the VIP club discount on that too but it's gotta be worth a punt. ;)

they do. just ordered a pair yesterday as seems an immense deal. now buying the tools to change cassette etc but a good buy (so Supersonic says, and he should know)

You get the VIP thing by registering for an account, then immediately click on their VIP banners and you get ten percent of anything with a 'VIP' flash on the image.
  • PinkSpider
    Mega; cheers. Shall be getting mate to lend me money for them tomorrow and ordering.

Also do you really need those tools to hold the cogs in place whilst tighten the cassette? Many years ago just used to use an old pair of jeans to grip on to them?
  • PinkSpider
    Mega; cheers. Shall be getting mate to lend me money for them tomorrow and ordering.

Also do you really need those tools to hold the cogs in place whilst tighten the cassette? Many years ago just used to use an old pair of jeans to grip on to them?
  • PinkSpider

• clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    yip. you need some extras. if you have rotors held on with 6 bolts BUT it's a piece of p155 to do it yourself.

needed: 1 x chainwhip, 1 x cassette lock ring remover, the right allan keys to remove your discs off your old bike.
    2 x adapters (i got mine for £12 each from the LBS)

you just 'sandwich' the rotor between the 2 part adaptor and away. got home at 6 last night, and had boht wheels ready by 8.30, and had cooked tea and stuff during, so well easy.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    If CrC don't assemble them your LBS will charge you next to nothing, not worth buying the tools unless your thinking of doing more home repairs. Some scumbags about that will nick anything. t**ts
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    An lbs would charge 5-10 quid for removal and swapping - you can get both tools for about 10 quid so I'd just do that.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    No removal, he has no wheels :shock: but your right I just got the impression he didn't feel confident doing it :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If you do get shimano certre lock/spilned hub wheels one on have 160mm disks for under a fiver http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BSSHRT52CR/ ... disc-rotor
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Sorry you lost your wheels, that sucks but most leaseholds will place the lease holder in breach if they store things in the communal areas. She almost certainly has nothing other than sympathy to offer you.

Worth noting that she can and probably will evict you under section 8 ground 12 of the Housing act if you continue to breach the terms of the tenancy or cause her to breach her lease, which is probably the case.

Is there an option to store the bikes inside the flat on a wall mount?