A Big Bloke with £1500

MattL30
MattL30 Posts: 28
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Bike frames.

I've been lusting after a CAAD10 for a good few months now. On Friday, someone in work suggested that I should go for a Carbon frame as Alu frame fatigue after 3 or 4 years so should be binned? I've never heard this before but he's got me worried now. Is there any truth in this?

Sort of linked, if you had up to £1500 for a 'best' bike, what would you pick. Given that I'm pretty big (80% of the time, over 18 stone!), my logic was to get the best frame I could, with any old Shim/SRAM 10 speed setup on it, and then upgrade it over the coming year or 2, to aid spreading the cost a bit.

Bike will be for the odd sportive type thing and weekend rides

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    The CAAD10 with Ultegra is currently discounted at afew places (Primera/ Wheelies) for £1519. It comes with Mavic Aksium Race wheels which should hold up.

A better option than a cheaper carbon framed bike IMO
  • solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    I think your friend doesnt know what hes taking about. In my opinion though £1500 is a lot for an alu frame bike but the CAAD are meant to be really good. If you want Alu check out the Canyon Ultimate AF range. If you want carbon the Focus Cayo 2.0 is reduced to £1200 on wiggle with the discount code.

I would look at Ti bikes because for that you could get a Van Nicholas.
  • MattL30
    MattL30 Posts: 28
    Cheers both for the replies.

Are Ti bikes generally faster than Alu? Bit of an odd question I know, but I think of Ti bikes more as Audex/touring type things.

Really not sure what to do. Would a carbon frame have issues with my weight?
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Hmm.

much like you I am a big lad and I have both Alu and Carbon frames. Both have no problem with the weight issue.

Where you will have issues is with the wheels on an off the peg bike. Something like aksiums will be ok but will need regular retrueing. Best investment I made was some solid handbuilt wheels.

So long way of saying. spend £1200 on the bike and spend £300 on some decent rims laced 36 spokes front and rear.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    MattL30 wrote:
    Are Ti bikes generally faster than Alu? Bit of an odd question I know, but I think of Ti bikes more as Audex/touring type things.

Depends who's riding each bike :roll:

My Ti Enigma Etape has full guards and more relaxed geometry than my carbon Kuota, but both have 10 speed Centaur, Kysrium Elite wheels and very similar weights. Not a great deal of difference in speed, but the Enigma is more comfortable.

There are Ti frames that will kick carbon arse, likewise vice versa
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Couple of nice Enigma's here http://www.enigmabikes.com/clearance.html for slightly above your budget
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos