Sky, can't say what......spoiler

Sirius631
Sirius631 Posts: 991
edited July 2011 in Pro race
So who will Sky support now that Wiggins has gone out injured?
To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.

Comments

• cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    You ought to change the thread title. Pretty much gives away fact something has happened to W
  • Sirius631
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    You ought to change the thread title. Pretty much gives away fact something has happened to W

Title was 'Sky change of plan.....spoiler' :lol:
  • cogidubnus
    I know- but with all their eggs in the Wiggins basket it implied something must have happened to him.

I'll shut up now lol
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    There are already a couple of threads with complete spoilers in the title. The cat is out of the bag...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Jeez- everyone really touchy about the whole spoiler thing today.

I know people like to watch the highlights and stuff - but let's face it - this is big news in the UK and no matter where you go today, people will be talking about it.

Will it really change your life to know before watching the highlights? :roll:
  • Sirius631
    edited July 2011
    Pokerface wrote:
    I know people like to watch the highlights and stuff - but let's face it - this is big news in the UK and no matter where you go today, people will be talking about it.

I managed not to know that it was Ryan Giggs until two days after the newspaper finally named him, so I know that it's possible to avoid news if you really try.

Anyway, back to the question. Shane Sutton has said that they will move to targetting stages. I suppose Thomas would have been their second line for the overall, but there is just such a quantum leap between his supporting role and leadership, especially as he also lost time in the crash.
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Sirius631 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

I managed not to know that it was Ryan Giggs until two days after the newspaper finally named him, so I know that it's possible to avoid news if you really try.

What did Ryan Giggs do?
  • I'm sorry but it's really very simple. Don't come on The Pro Race section( or any other road race sites) before you've watched the race. Blaming others for ruining it for you isn't fair.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Who is Ryan Giggs? >_<

But it's very stupid for anyone to assume that the whole forum should keep sctom untill you've seen the race. The Race spoiler works but anything else you dabble at your own risk!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I hope that Sky really go for it now and try and win more stages, they certainly have the guys to do it in EBH, Swift, Thomas, Uran and Flecha. I know a lot of people will take a lot of pleasure in their problems today but they can still have a good Tour De France without Wiggins.

In the Giro they hardly got into any breaks despite the fact their GC man was out of the running, which was very dissapointing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    Geraint Thomas for a stage now :D
    and get that white jersey back
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Sirius631
    I'm sorry but it's really very simple. Don't come on The Pro Race section( or any other road race sites) before you've watched the race. Blaming others for ruining it for you isn't fair.

Sounds like a plan, but some just must have their forum fix before they have chance to watch the highlights, so I like to include 'Spoilers' in the title.

Anyway, BACK TO THE QUESTION: What do you think Sky will do now?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    will brad ride the Vuelta now - or will he quit the road and just concentrate on the team pursuit again now!

he wont "race" next years tour with it being so close to the olympics - and he will be possibly to old for 2013.

in answer to the original question

Sutton has already stated they will try and target some of rolling stages now - EBH, G and flecha will all be good - put all there eggs in Swifts basket for any sprints and see if they can get Gerrans or Uran in some breaks that might stick.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Sirius631 wrote:

That's a couple of weeks before his brother found out
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    Thomas, EBH, Flecha, Gerrans for stages - Uran for mountains jersey?
    Think they'd be daft to go for GC.

I think Brad should go for the Vuelta - any team with Rogers, Cummings, Stannard, Henderson... would be pretty solid.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Got the impression earlier in the year this year would be TdF focus for brad and next year do the Giro hard enough to get into shape to peak for the olympics, possibly missing out the TdF with the focus on Sky supporting Cav. Might change given how gutted he is going to be now about the tour.

Gerrans, Uran for the hilly stages for sure. EBH, Flecha and Thomas can definately do something in the stages if they focus on it. The best thing they could do now they don't have GC targets would be to try and get all over the front of the peloton, get into breaks or go for stages.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    rubertoe wrote:
    and he will be possibly to old for 2013.
    don't be daft
  • RichN95.
    Got the impression earlier in the year this year would be TdF focus for brad and next year do the Giro hard enough to get into shape to peak for the olympics, possibly missing out the TdF with the focus on Sky supporting Cav. Might change given how gutted he is going to be now about the tour.

I think it may depend on what the routes are. If the Tour suddenly decide to go back to the days of two 50km TTs, it would be hard for him to say no just for the sake of the Olympic pursuit.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    acidstrato wrote:
    Geraint Thomas for a stage now :D
    and get that white jersey back

Getting the jersey back may be a long shot as Gesink has is now and Kreuziger's riding too and they are handy in mts.
    I think they should support Uran now (but then I have often picked him in PTP in past when he was with Caisse d'Epargne so I may do so again now he'll have the freedom to try something.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    They've still got plenty of options.

Uran can ride for himself in the mountains to see how he does (maybe try for KOM). If Gesink is really in a bad way the white jersey is up for grabs.

Gerrans can go on the breakaway stages (stage 9 looks suitable), he could even challenge tomorrow.
    EBH and Thomas can try their hand in the breaks in stages with one big mountain. Flecha could go on the attack too. Swift can try for the sprints.

Plenty to do.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    I'm sorry but it's really very simple. Don't come on The Pro Race section( or any other road race sites) before you've watched the race. Blaming others for ruining it for you isn't fair.

I'm with you. I don't get time to watch anything other than the highlights, and I stay away from any cycling sites, or the news, Just to make sure.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    i never look on any cycling related sites until ive watched the stage. why should people not talk about it ?
  • RichN95.
    Spoilers, not spoilers, the debate will continue.

However, the best place to discuss these things is in the Stage thread, it doesn't really need a new thread.. This topic was discussed in there.
  • tim000
    anyone hear the phone interview with brad before todays(sat) stage. he said "oh well , theres always next year". so to me that sounds like he may do the tour . does anyone think he will forget about the track for the olympics and maybe do the timetrial/road race and ride the tour aswell.
  • cogidubnus
    He has multiple Olympic medals but the tour is still an unknown now as to what he can do. I'll be amazed if he doesn't ride the tour next year.

I think he should ride the Vuelta this year
  • inkyfingers
    Personally I can't see a reason why he can't target the tour and the Team Pursuit/TT at the Olympics.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • tim000
    the plan was to ride the giro in may as a good build up to the olympics. the tour is to close to the olympics really if he is going to take it serious. to close to peak twice but to far apart to stay on form. riders have done it in the past but only as training ,so not peaked for the tour . plus if he does the track he will need to be training on the track in the build up. i think he may do the tour as a GC contender and then do the time trail and just try to hold what form he can. he`s going to be fired up after what happened this year and is pi$$ed of about the ticket problems for the track. but im probably compleatly wrong . :D
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Riding GC and riding a team pursuit is no way going to work. Especially with a week's gap next year.

Who else would be able to be competitive up a mountain then start flying around the boards in the same season?
  • inkyfingers
    rebs wrote:
    Riding GC and riding a team pursuit is no way going to work. Especially with a week's gap next year.

Who else would be able to be competitive up a mountain then start flying around the boards in the same season?

In the past it wasn't so uncommon to combine track and road, Merckx probably being the best example. I'm not comparing him to Merckx, but Wiggins is a phenomenal team pursuit rider. Even if he was a few % off his track best he'd still be better than any other guy that team GB could bring in for the Olympics. Let's not forget that Team GB won the Team Pursuit in Manchester in February and then Wiggins was on the podium at Paris-Nice just a few weeks later, it can be done. If he believed that he could hold his Dauphine form through to the end of July for the tour then in theory he could just peak a few weeks later for the tour and hold it through into August.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Bradley McGee rode the Tour, and finished, the Tour in 2002, and then wiped the floor with everyone at the Commonwealth Games a week later on the track. He did a 4:16 too, which was the fastest post Superman position at the time.