ITV4 Boardman advert "Why do they have 2nd and 3rd... &

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Loving the Boardman adverts on ITV4 about "Why do they have 2nd and 3rd on a Podium" and the other one about the secret of winning is suffering.
Loving it!! He did only usually suffer for 4 minutes 20 seconds though!

I once waited on the Sierra Nevada climb at the Vuelta for our British Hero Chris Boardman to arrive and this is what I saw after some time waiting-

1890-45695.jpg

:? Not much suffering on that day MrB!! I hope MrB enjoyed the ride in the Team Car.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    I am wondering why they have introduced him speaking over the adverts.
    I suspect it is because the marketing guys feel that Jo Public don't actually know who Boardman is..sad but probably true
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    jerry3571 wrote:
    INot much suffering on that day MrB!! I hope MrB enjoyed the ride in the Team Car.
    Right enough, it's easy to feel smugly contemptuous of someone who's only ever worn yellow a couple of times :roll:
  • I'm sure it was a breeze when he broke the hour record, no suffering at all.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    bompington wrote:
    Right enough, it's easy to feel smugly contemptuous of someone who's only ever worn yellow a couple of times :roll:

Ain't winning it just once remarkable?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Considering the competition at the time (and how they were prepared), he didn't do such a bad job in my opinion.
  • the adverts are gash though
  • planeetx
    planeetx Posts: 9
    The guy's a legend, but his quotes at the end of every add break are making my teeth itch :^(

The "why do they have 2nd and 3rd..." one is particularly ghastly.

I'd replace it with

"For every winner there are dozens of losers - chances are you're one of them." :D
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Boardman must have been very confused at the end of the '96 Paris Nice then...

He is a legend though so I think saying lines someone has clearly put in front of you and asked you to read out is acceptable.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    I don't think his Tour achevements justify his use of Yellow, like he somehow owns it.

Amazing palmares in TT, but road racing? Not so much.

Win the thing seven years in a row and I think using the colour commercially is fair enough. I believe he had it for six days in total. A big acheievement, yes, but it's hardly what he's best known for.

I suppose they've gone with yellow because there are less restrictions of using the colour than olympic rings or even rainbow bands.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I don't think his Tour achevements justify his use of Yellow, like he somehow owns it.

Win the thing seven years in a row and I think using the colour commercially is fair enough. I believe he had it for six days in total. A big acheievement, yes, but it's hardly what he's best known for.

I suppose they've gone with yellow because there are less restrictions of using the colour than olympic rings or even rainbow bands.

It's just a colour. Norwich City, JCB, Opal Fruits, Bananaman and the Beatles's submarine haven't done much in the Tour either.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:

It's just a colour. Norwich City, JCB, Opal Fruits, Bananaman and the Beatles's submarine haven't done much in the Tour either.

Surely Team Raleigh Bananaman.... oh.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Gingerflash
    I don't recall JCB adverts claiming that yellow was "a state of mind" either.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I record the ITV4 highlights, but don't get home until after they've finished. Works out well as I can fast forward through them.

I've been enjoying the highlights show, and actually enjoy the boardman bits in the programme.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I don't recall JCB adverts claiming that yellow was "a state of mind" either.

How many people have won a yellow jersey at the tour? And he's worn it on multiple occasions. So I don't see any problem using yellow branding. SRAM did a limited edition yellow gear set last year for the tour. Is that not allowed either?
  • Gingerflash
    SRAM used yellow after Contador won the Tour using their gear, not because of their riders wore the jersey for a day or two.

It just seems a bit of an overstatement to me. LIke a brand using the rainbow bands on road bikes because they had a rider who once won the Masters Madison title or something.

I suspect I feel this way because I simply don't like Boardman.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Ah the crux of the matter lol
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:

:lol:
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Err...aren't 2nd and 3rd places on the podium for those who come 2nd and 3rd (sometimes also known as 1st loser and 2nd loser).
    I think I may be missing the point here...
    Ecrasez l’infame