Cervelo s1 advice

Fuji-John
Fuji-John Posts: 98
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
i am looking at upgrading my entry level tiara equipped fuji roubaix for a new Cervelo s1 with ultegra groupset but I've heard the ride is very uncomfortable and I do a 100 mile ride once a month and up to 75 mile rides 3 times a month will this bike be a bit too harsh to carry on enjoying these rides?

Comments

• As many will tell you, the only way to is try and ride one for yourself. I loved my alloy Soloist and regret selling it. It is a harsh ride in comparison to my Giant tcr and I can't pinpoint why exactly, but I loved it. It's a racers bike though, I wouldn't want to ride a hilly century sportive on one. I suspect your Fuji will be a much less agressive ride and have a more "relaxed" frame geometry.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    It's a great bike - stiff, responsive and with bucket loads of oomph. Looks the business too. It's not the comfiest over the pavé of South London but that just means you have to go faster . . .

I get almost 200 miles a week out of mine and wouldn't swap it for anything else BUT I'd probably use my other bike for hilly century sportives, as OIABU said . . .
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    I ride 70-100 mile routes around the chilterns on mine most weekends, no problems to report comfort wise really.

There may be more comfortable and more compliant bikes out there, but real comfort comes from a correct fitting bike. If it fits then go for it!

I love mine, wouldnt change it for anything else at the moment.
  • FitzM
    FitzM Posts: 232
    Fuji, you can't go wrong with a S1. I have a Soloist, it's the same frame just the previous name and I too run Ultergra.

It's my favourite of my 4 bikes, I've done 100+ miles on some rides no problem. Admittedly it might not absorb all the road buzz of a decent carbon frame but if you make sure you have a bike fit, have the right pressure in your tyres and some decent bar tape you will ejoy the ride while you kick some ass :D
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    edited July 2011
    Mate,

Sorry to jump on too - but I hope more info will also help you too!!

I am also looking at an S1 at the moment (alongside a canyon ultimate al and caad10, which I have thought of for vfm) and was worried about the comfort issue too.

However, alot of folk say that good wheels, tyres and bars/wrap will dull any vibration that u may feel. I have never ridden an s1 but I would imagine that it would feel better than a cheaper alu frame. I also saw a few s1's on the northern rock cyclone sportive (which is a hilly one and over 100miles!!)

My question is this....Does anyone know where there is a shop that keeps s1's that can be test ridden and built with a bike fit??
    My lbs (an official cervelo retailer) can order an s1 frame in and build it, but cant offer a test ride or fitting! So I am reluctant to buy a frame that i dont know if it really fits or not!

To the OP are you buying new or SH??
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    i love mys s1, sram force with dure ace 7850cl wheels and a toupe saddle.
    Gives me no problems on long rides, Just wish i'd gone for a 56 instead of a 58.
  • BBH
    I have seen your build pics - Lovely,

But why a 56 not 58?? How tall are you, what are yout stats :wink: ??
    I ask because this would be my frame size dilemma!!

• warrior4life
    Im just over 6ft with a 34 inside leg, I often find i have to much seat post showing on 56 bikes and so i went for a 58.
    I just sort of feel now i would be better on a 56, I should probably try one.

Tempted to ebay my frame and purchase an ebay 56.
  • BBH
    I am the same, hence the dilemma. However, my current bike has a 57 tt with a 120mm stem and I feel I could lose an inch to be comfortable, thats why I'm thinking 56.

Can I ask, have u (or any other S1 owners) had any problems with the paint quality on the s1 (i.e. it flakes off)??

• warrior4life
    Afew chips here and there, not major bad.
    I may get it re sprayed next year.

Not bad enough paint quality to put me off cervelo bikes, Still love them.
  • BBH
    Thats reassuring, thanks.
    Was thinking of some clear helicopter tape for the obvious areas as some form of protection - That is, if I can find a bike to sit on!! :)

• Ciclicasati
    Ciclicasati Posts: 740
    If anyone wants to sell me there 58 I would be interested in the frameset. I am gutted, mine has just cracked around the seatcluster due to a faulty seatpost shim. Don’t be put off though, the shim caused it and if you buy new that would be covered under warrantee. Sadly for me mine was an ebay purchase but I’m not thinking twice about getting another. Its like no other alu frame I’ve tried and will out perform most low end carbon frames due to its stiffness and power transfer.

You will find the ride is slightly harsher than some frames but it’s a race frame, designed to be ridden not for a Sunday afternoon potter down to the shops. I’m not saying don’t get it if you don’t race. Get it if you like having fun. The first time I blasted down the road on one I couldn’t believe the acceleration. It just goes and goes. I have done a few 100’s on it and a few hilly Dales courses with no issues. Its not a bone shaker or teeth rattler, you just feel very connected to the road rather than slightly glossing over it. Personally I like that.

I tested the R3 and the S1, bought the R3 and bought the S1 a year later.

I had the 2008 silver and red one with no paint chipping issues. That mostly occurs on the later carbon models as the paint seems to be particularly thin.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Regarding the paint, yes it is soft, and does seem to chip a little too easily. I covered all the exposed and vulnerable areas with Helo tape when I got it for exactly this reason.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have a Soloist (Same as S1) and was surprised how comfortable the geometry is, however as an Aluminium bike it does rattle my fillings on bad roads, your hands will surely tingle on bad roads.