TDF Stage 3 Spoiler

Cumulonimbus
Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
edited July 2011 in Pro race
3rd stage and its a flat one with the only categorised climb being over a bridge. Looks like one for the sprinters before we head back to an uphill finish tomorrow.

5 guys have broken away from the gun and have a lead of over a minute already. They are

Perez Moreno (EUS)
Gutierrez (MOV)
Bouet (AG2R)
Terpstra (QST)
Delage (FDJ)

http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/LIVE/us/3 ... etape.html

Edit - out to 2.10 now.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Terpsta!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Unfortunately the forecast is for light winds today, which is a shame as the possibility of echelons would have livened up the bunch.

I think this will be a classic first week sprint stage, break goes, break caught, Cav wins.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    whilst I have Cav for ptp, he traditionally doesnt tend to win the first bunch sprint in a Grand Tour, '09 TDF excepted
  • inkyfingers
    Having said that there is an interesting exit from a main road within the last KM, wouldn't be surprised to see part of the field wiped out by a flying Euskaltel rider. Obviously won't affect the GC but could narrow down the winners in the sprint.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    Apologies, that crazy road exit is actually outside the last 3KM so could affect the GC if there are crashes. Cue every man and his dog all trying to ride at the front and causing a crash!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Here's a good website for those of you who like live stats: http://data.srmlive.de/TDF/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So Guimard doesn't think Contador's head is in the right place and thinks the pressure is getting to him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Why is Terpstra in the break?

He's actually alright - I thought he'd be in the mix if he got into a proper break on a stage where they'd stay away.

Disappointed.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Tour website talking about the walking wounded already. Quite a few people are suffering from injuries sustained on stage 1. Movistar reckon that one of their aims was to make sure Intxausti and Amador didnt get dropped right away and then struggle to make the time limit.

http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/LIVE/us/3 ... etape.html
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    For all those Pinarello fans, it looks like Gutierrez is on the new 2012 Dogma... :D
    www.dotcycling.com
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Why is Terpstra in the break?

He's actually alright - I thought he'd be in the mix if he got into a proper break on a stage where they'd stay away.

Disappointed.

A sign of how much bigger the TDF is than other races. Even the riders sent in the no-hope doomed breakaways are strong rouleurs.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Interesting tweet from the reliable RaceRadio

TheRaceRadio Anyone else think it is strange that Frank Schleck has not raced in Italy for a long time? He may have a surprise waiting for him July 20th
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • camerone
    iainf72 wrote:

TheRaceRadio Anyone else think it is strange that Frank Schleck has not raced in Italy for a long time? He may have a surprise waiting for him July 20th

why 20th July
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    iainf72 wrote:

Probably doesn't like pasta.

They serve pasta 4 times a day in Italian prisons.
  • afx237vi
    camerone wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

why 20th July

Stage finish in Italy.

Reminiscent of Valv.piti...
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Is it just Eurosport in Asia, or are Eurosport not showing any brand ads during the commercial breaks, just Eurosport "All Season Long" promo pieces? I suspect it may be just in Asia... No Sidi Ads, no Tyler...nothing
    www.dotcycling.com
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    afx237vi wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

why 20th July

Stage finish in Italy.

Just me that thinks anyone it Italy couldn't keep owt like that quiet for more than a nanosecond?

Strava is not Zen.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Interesting mix of sprinters contesting the intermediate - Cav, Galimzyanov and I think Bozic, but also Boonen, Hushovd, Rojas, and very interestingly, Gilbert
  • Cav takes the 6th spot in the intermediate after the breakaway gobbles up the first 5.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Gilbert went for it as he only needed 1 point to be sure to keep the green for tomorrow?
  • Cumulonimbus
    afx237vi wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

why 20th July

Stage finish in Italy.

Surprise party to welcome him back after so long?
  • camerone
    afx237vi wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

why 20th July

Stage finish in Italy.

ah yes, thanks
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    rebs wrote:
    Gilbert went for it as he only needed 1 point to be sure to keep the green for tomorrow?
    Perhaps not just that - with the new points system he could even secretly target to win green overall. Plenty of (medium) mountain stages he could do well at the intermediates
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

why 20th July

Stage finish in Italy.

Surprise party to welcome him back after so long?

Maybe they've finally found those training plans he ordered...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Different coloured watch for any jersey.
    Getty
    8350bafdf9fc8e2da9699d71a127f0d0-getty-_.jpg
    5342687c1f43ea3d81bcae120179bc60-getty-_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Bring on the mountains. I hope there is some serious demolition.

“Throwing in the towel is the last thing I’d do. Now there are riders who’ve got more options that I do for the victory, because they’re in a very beneficial position, but there’s no way I’m going to throw in the towel.”

Of course, said Contador, “it will be a different Tour, I’ll have to tackle it from a different perspective. The important thing is to let the days go by until the mountains get here, to see how we are.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Bring on the mountains.

You'll be waiting another 10 days for those to turn up.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Harmon: "I'd join Katusha as I cant sprint, cant TT and cant climb....I'd fit in well" :lol:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    That bridge at Saint Nazaire is no fun on a bike - even without all the traffic. It blows a gale at the top and the expansion joints on the descent are like dragons teeth. (Wonder if they've covered them over for the day?)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    Epic helicopter shots.