Do I have to put up with [expletive delete] for 3 weeks?

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,584
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Do I have to put up with that twunt Kirby on Eurosport for the next 3 weeks?

Yesterday & today on Eurosport he's been butting in all over the shop. I don't recall Eurosport having 3 commentators in the past. Is this a new thing? If he's gonna be on every day I might end up putting up with the Chuckle Bros on ITV4.

But in all seriousness did the powers that be at Eurosport host a focus group and people said " I know what's lacking... with Harmon & Kelly you have too much intelligent discussion and insight and not enough buffoonary!"?

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    No you don't use your mute button.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    He's done the same role for the past two or three Tours, so yes. I don't mind him so much if he just does the interview translations / light-hearted asides and leaves the race commentary to DH.
  • alan_a
    Ok. I was following the tour last year so I "missed" his witty interjections.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    he did surprisingly well by his standards when the feed from Harmon and Kelly went down the other day
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Who used to do the job before Kirby? He was much easier to put up with, and who was the woman they had with them, a photographer if I recall correctly, wish they'd bring them back and send Kirby off to itv
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He'll be on much less when the race (if the race) gets interesting.

So basically you're stuck with lots of him till the end of the 2nd week.

Having said that, he does, or at least is supplied with, some interesting stats from time to time.
  • cat whore
    cat whore Posts: 13
    Rock and a hard place. Sherwen in particular was idiotic on stage one: helicopter shot of hay bale bike with turning wheels - "they've planned that"; roadside banner saying 'Vive la Tour' "that says long live the tour".
    You'll be shouting at the telly whatever coverage you go for.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    campagone wrote:
    Who used to do the job before Kirby? He was much easier to put up with, and who was the woman they had with them, a photographer if I recall correctly, wish they'd bring them back and send Kirby off to itv

It was Mike Smith with the grating laugh. Thank goodness he's gone to snooker. The woman was on the Giro: Christi Anderson and they also used Emma Davies a few times.
    I think that Carlton's ok in the dungeons but not so good commentating.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Ah yes Christi Anderson, she was pretty good. From what I remember Mike Smith was ok too, I don't remember his laugh though.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Why the hell can't ITV pull their fingers out and put the Stage 2 highlights up on their crap ITV Player service so that I can watch it!!! I don't really understand why there's such a delay, the programme's already been made and edited and it was broadcast 5 hours ago! Or am I being too demanding?

Noone's going to care by tomorrow evening, cos then they'll want to see the stage 3 highlights. Sort it out ITV!
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    afx237vi wrote:
    He's done the same role for the past two or three Tours, so yes. I don't mind him so much if he just does the interview translations / light-hearted asides and leaves the race commentary to DH.
    +1

I like Carlton.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I do have a certain sympathy for cycling commentators, there aren't many sports where the same commentators cover a race for 2-3 hours a day for 3 weeks, and that's on top of all the other races you've heard them commentate on this year. Plus in cycling you always have large chunks of time where nothing happens other than a lot of blokes all ride their bikes in a big group, not easy to fill that airtime without saying silly things or rehashing the same catchphrases etc.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I do have a certain sympathy for cycling commentators, there aren't many sports where the same commentators cover a race for 2-3 hours a day for 3 weeks, and that's on top of all the other races you've heard them commentate on this year. Plus in cycling you always have large chunks of time where nothing happens other than a lot of blokes all ride their bikes in a big group, not easy to fill that airtime without saying silly things or rehashing the same catchphrases etc.

That's why people are so sensitive to them.

Was watching the stage 1 avondetappe on NOS with de Cauwer (who co-commentates on Sporza) who is one of my favourite commentators. He was saying when he commentates he always tries to give a view of "if I was his DS, what would I be thinking and saying?".

Someone of Kelly's experience should be able to add that kind of value, rather than respond to increasingly predictable questions from Harmon, who, in fairness, does his best to get a few nuggets out of Kelly.
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    edited July 2011
    campagone wrote:
    Ah yes Christi Anderson, she was pretty good. From what I remember Mike Smith was ok too, I don't remember his laugh though.

Think Cheggers!!

I enjoyed Mike's late night review show, quite light hearted. If I remember, Kelly disliked Christie Anderson doing additional commentary, correct me if I am wrong.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    they are not obliged to talk constantly. sometimes when nothing is happening the best thing to do is to say nothing for a bit. I normally watch the tour on french tv, and they aren't scared to shut up. i watched yesterday's stage on itv4 and there wasn't a single second of quiet in the commentary - they do one breath each and then the other dives straight in. given that they can't get it right when there is something to say, it's hardly surprising that they talk nonsense when there's nothing to say.
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    +1

I like Carlton.

Me too....he did a good job when the Harmon / Kelly commentary failed at the end of stage 1.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    "And why not?....."
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I thought Carlton was a lot better as the number 3 than when he is the main commentator.

He was a bit painful during the Dauphine.
  • alan_a
    1 week in and I'm warming to him. His "Mountain of Bob's Breakfast" line had me pissing myself.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Alan A wrote:
    1 week in and I'm warming to him. His "Mountain of Bob's Breakfast" line had me pissing myself.

The deathly silence from DH was funnier :lol:
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    God just back from a week in Lake Garda and Sherwen is at it already -" That little box thing on the handlebar is a computer that tells you how many miles you've done"......NO really.

The peleton rides under the FREEWAY ???? WTF - Freeway was in Hart to Hart you prick
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Alan A wrote:

didn't he call it the col de croissant. :D I like him.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.