Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

New Wheels - spoke hole plugs or rim tape?

arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,538
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Just taken delivery of my new Shimano RS80 wheelset from Merlin Cycles - ordered afternoon of 28th - delivered today (30th) at 3pm. Hats off to the guys at Merlin.

Looking through the set-up instructions, Shimano recommend using spoke hole plugs or traditional rim tape to protect the inner tubes when assembled.

I have done quite a bit of searching and eventually located a source of the plugs at Planet X Bikes

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSV ... -veloplugs

I gather the plugs add less weight to the wheel than conventional rim tape - according to some comments i have read.

Anyone got any experience of using these plugs? Also any opinions on the merits or otherwise of these plugs over rim tape.

Plugs cost £9.99 for a pack of 72 - roll of rim tape is about £3

• fleshtuxedofleshtuxedo Posts: 1,840
    I've used Veloplugs and they do just what they claim - lighter than tape & make tyres easier to install and remove.
  • ajb72ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I've no experience of the plugs sorry, but how much weight can rim tape really add compared to the plugs??? Tape is tried and tested and a fail safe (I'm a Velox fan).
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    How does rim tape make it harder to get tyres on and off ?

I'm with rim tape all the way. Or failing that - a loop of insulation tape works just as well !
  • ajb72ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    cougie wrote:

I'm with rim tape all the way. Or failing that - a loop of insulation tape works just as well !

Not so sure about that. I tried that when new tapes hadn't arrived in time for a ride in the Peaks last year, but following a slower rider down a very steep descent meant I was on the brakes far more than I'd have liked. The resulting heat in the rim shrank the insulation tape and hey presto I punctured - fortunately only seconds after a 90 degree turn! I had applied a couple of layers too, so presumed it would hold.

Lesson learned for me, rim tape only!
  • alfabluealfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have welded the plastic "rim tape" to the tube because of the heat build up on a Pyreneean descent. The tube didn't puncture but when I removed the tyre the tube was "as one" with the rim tape (same would have happened with insulating tape). This was the first I knew of the problem, but it could have ended nastily! Since then I have only used fabric Velox tape.
  • schweizschweiz Posts: 1,644
    I tried the insulation tape method once...I got about 9km before I flatted.

I've had mixed success with plastic rim tapes. I have 2 sets of wheels which have been no problem but my my PowerTap with a CXP33 rim just kept puncturing.

It'll be Velox or Zefal canvas tape all the time from now on.
  • pb21pb21 Posts: 2,168
    cougie wrote:

The diameter/circumference is less.

OK it is only a tiny difference but it does make getting tyres on my Campagnolo wheels slightly more bearable!
    Mañana
  • Rule74PleaseRule74Please Posts: 307
    Rim tape - Always.

Weight diff is zero in real terms and it is still the most reliable way to do it.

Use cloth tape not that horrible plastic stuff