Rear suspension play, which bush is it??

agg25
agg25 Posts: 619
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, noticed last night when pick up my bike by the seat, there's a small amount of play in the rear suspension, but it was pretty tough to see which bush it actually was that was moving, any tips on how to isolate which bush is the worn one?

It's a Cube AMS Pro 100 if it matters like this one -> Main.jpg

Comments

• anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Might be the pivot bearing thats gone
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The lower shock bush takes a hammering and some bikes go through them like brake pads. The top hat insert in the lower shock eyelet is usually sacrificial they are softer aluminium. You can get them from TF Tuned.

Other pivots will almost certainly be cartridge bearings they last a very long time.

Just make sure the saddle isn't loose before you start taking the suspension to bits.
  • agg25
    Thanks guys, so blitz, you're saying in the photo shown it would most likely be the red bush in the rear sus triangle? I think that the same one I had to replace a year ago, so you're probably right if that's the case.
    Do you know how easy they are to replace or what tools I'd need?
    Cheers again
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No, he means the one where the shock connects to the linkage.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Often can be that the shock mounting bolts loosen over time. Before stripping down try tightening those back up.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • agg25
    Ah ok, yeehaa just read on tftuned their guides and it mentioned that bush. Yeah did nip them up a tad benpinnick, wasn't sure of the torque setting so didn't want to overdo it though.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Hold the bush, so your finger is touching the end of the shock, then lift the bike. You should feel them moving very slightly independantly if it's loose. If not, try the other end!*

Failing that just undo the 2 bolts and get the shock off the bike, it's not a big job. The loose one should be loose enough to pull straight out the shock by the sound of it.

Edit: Oh sorry, I was assuming shock bush. In which case the same, but touching the linkage and frame :)