caad 10 vs canyon ultimate al

BBH
BBH Posts: 476
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Guys,

After a bit of help please. Which of the above would you go for and why?

I am a bit nervous of canyon due only to after sales care and support being more difficult to come by (i.e. germany & one UK rep) as opposed to the caad 10 from the lbs. Is it worth paying the extra for the lbs support?? Also, the caad I can test ride, the canyon I cant. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks!
2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
Twitter: @MadRoadie

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Owned a CAAD9 and currently own a AL.

Find the Canyon far more forgiving than the CAAD9 and it has better tracking downhill (I think this is due to the 1 1/2 headtube). Geometry of AL owes to all day riding as well I have found.

I did love the finish of the welds on the CAAD9 looks so smart.

CAAD9 I found is cracking 'speed' (crit bike? getting up to speed was so easy) bike but as an all day bike I found it uncomfortable.

Oh and don't worry about aftersale support. Canyon have a UK rep who I found to be excellent.
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    This month's cycling active reviews the CAAD10 (105 / entry spec) against the Canyon Ultimate Al 8.0 and Boardman Alu comp. They really rate the Canyon (98%), like the boardman (91%) and think the Cannondale has a poor spec of kit for the money (88%)

They liked the CAAD10 frame (weighing 1150g!) but disliked the kit level
    They liked the package of the Ultimate, but disliked the messy welds on the frame...

In my view, it's easier to change bits of kit than the frame...
    ...I like having local support...
    ...and I personally wouldn't buy a bike without riding it first, no matter how many measurements I give the supplier.

...but I've just spent good money on a Cannondale Alloy Synapse so I'm biased!
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    chiark wrote:
    This month's cycling active reviews the CAAD10 (105 / entry spec) against the Canyon Ultimate Al 8.0 and Boardman Alu comp. They really rate the Canyon (98%), like the boardman (91%) and think the Cannondale has a poor spec of kit for the money (88%)

They liked the CAAD10 frame (weighing 1150g!) but disliked the kit level
    They liked the package of the Ultimate, but disliked the messy welds on the frame...

In my view, it's easier to change bits of kit than the frame...
    ...I like having local support...
    ...and I personally wouldn't buy a bike without riding it first, no matter how many measurements I give the supplier.

...but I've just spent good money on a Cannondale Alloy Synapse so I'm biased!

Makes you realise what a waste of time some of these bike review/ tests are.
    A dura ace/ rs80 equpped Caad would take some beating, but you're paying a premium for it.

I don't think you would regret buying the caad10, but would the canyon and boarman leave you thinking 'what if...'
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    I must admit, I read the review and thought, 'that was a waste of 10 minutes of my life'. The bit that got me was the phrase in the Boardman review saying "The geometry is absolutely spot on - there's no silly tall sportive specific head tube or too flexible rear end purportedly for 'all-day-riding' or anything like that."

One size bike really does fit all, it seems, in the Cycling Active world. ;)

They also complain about FSA cranksets and BBs on the boardman and cannondale. I didn't realise Shimano made BB30 stuff, but that's probably my ignorance on parade for all to see.

Anyhow, my opinion is utterly irrelevant compared to Gazzaputt, who appears to really have BTDTGGTS with both bikes! Interesting stuff!
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I wouldn't say the welds are messy at all on the AL. They are fish scale which doesn't look as nice as the smooth weld of CAADs.

I think you'd be happy with both but what are the price differences?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I wouldn't say the welds are messy at all on the AL. They are fish scale which doesn't look as nice as the smooth weld of CAADs.

I think you'd be happy with both but what are the price differences?

I'd estimate for similar spec a £300 saving on the Canyon,assuming noone pays RRP for a Cannondale. I wouldn't bother with the Boardman
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'd normally say Canyon but the spec on the CAAD10 is perfect. Add that to LBS goodwill and you've got an option you won't regret.

Test ride the CAAD, if you like the geometry then get it. If not the Canyon has a taller head tube (I believe) so may suit you better.

Both are very sweet bikes though.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Guys,

Thanks so much for the replies – much appreciated

I am so stuck, I love the look of both bikes and both the kit that comes with them.

I have heard loads of positives about the canyon and I also like the spec and think for 1600 is a pretty good deal. However, I have been bitten on the butt before with mail order bikes and despite my current one being from wiggle, its UK based so for my piece of mind I feel ok with that, but I still wonder whether I have the right size.

The caad 10 will be about £350 more expensive than the canyon (with its postage applied) and I do like the bike but I will probably be thinking should I be spending so much on a bike when one like the canyon is available and when I have heard so many good things about the canyons and not so much raving about caad10’s this year.

Ahhhhhhhhhh……….my heads going to explode!!!

Think I may try and test ride the caad 10 this w/end and make a decision from there.
    I will keep you updated.

I should have added bike is for all weathers and for sportives, fast solo and group rides. Many thanks for the review summary too!!!
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie