Look Keo cleats wearing in a matter of days

carrock
carrock Posts: 1,103
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Bought set of Look Keo max pedals and cleats 10 days ago

I had difficulty clipping my left shoe in- on closer inspection the rubber pad has fallen off and the cleat base is now unprotected and worn away, and scuffed- which makes it hard to clip in

The right side rubber pad also looks as though it will come adrift as it is clearly also loose (see pic )

image0051.jpg

Have to say I am massively unimpressed with these cleats as I am used to Shimano cleats lasting a whole summer- these are in a sorry state after 10 days- like most people I walk from front door to garage and in and out of pub/cafe but these cleats look like I have run a marathon in them!

Anyone else have this problem- the retailer seems to imply I have been using my feet as brakes........

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Did you go jogging in them or use your shoes as a brake!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Get shot of the ones with the rubber grips on, and get some "normal" ones.

Mine last 2000+ miles
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I suppose you're using genuine Look cleats?
  • carrock
    Bozman wrote:

According to the retailer, yes!!

In reality- walk from front door to garage and back x 16= 160 metres

Dismount and walk into office x 8= 16 metres

In/out of pubs etc- about 30 metres

So 200 metres of walking and that's the result. Thing is, if they fixed the rubber pads on properly that would protect the plastic a bit more......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    This was exactly my experience - total and utter rubbish. My Look pedals (which fortunately came with the bike) are gathering dust. I just use SPDs.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • carrock
    I suppose you're using genuine Look cleats?

yes- the ones that came with the pedals
  • pjm300
    pjm300 Posts: 58
    cleat protectors have saved mine
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    God knows what you lot are doing to them, like I say, at least 2000 miles out of mine, and I walk from the garage to my house, and from our main work building to our outside offices.
  • noiseboyfeetman
    noiseboyfeetman Posts: 719
    edited October 2012
    I find the grip Keo cleats alright, they last about a year or so before being replaced, if not longer. I do want to try the normal Keo cleats next time though for comparison, or just use the cafe stop covers.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I use exactly the same cleats as the ones you've pictured, and walk just about the same distances as you. Mine are six months old and look as good as new. I am extremely careful with them though. I guess they're just not suited to you, all you can do is change your pedals or change your feet :)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    My last set of cleats failed after 16mths and that was purely down to a crash.
  • carrock
    thecrofter wrote:
    I use exactly the same cleats as the ones you've pictured, and walk just about the same distances as you. Mine are six months old and look as good as new. I am extremely careful with them though. I guess they're just not suited to you, all you can do is change your pedals or change your feet :)

In this context, what does extremely careful mean? Taking the shoes off and carrying them?

Not sure I have been walking " carelessly"- just walking......... :?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    danowat wrote:
    Get shot of the ones with the rubber grips on, and get some "normal" ones

Agreed. The rubber bits do f-all apart from fall off.

If you need to do any walking in Keo's buy some café covers.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    carrock wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

According to the retailer, yes!!

In reality- walk from front door to garage and back x 16= 160 metres

Dismount and walk into office x 8= 16 metres

In/out of pubs etc- about 30 metres

So 200 metres of walking and that's the result. Thing is, if they fixed the rubber pads on properly that would protect the plastic a bit more......

I guess a lot will depend on the type of surfaces you walk on and whether or not you scuff the cleats along the ground at all. But I suspect you're probably underestimating how far you've walked in them anyway.

But if you're walking at all then get some cleat covers. I use look cleats for commuting. I walk through the house then about 5 metres out onto the road without the cleat covers, but when I get to work its a longer walk so I slip the cleat covers on. My cleats last many months - not sure exactly how many cos I don't get hung up on it and the non-grip variety are nice and cheap in Decathlon. My current cleats are at least 3 months old and are considerably less worn that yours.
    More problems but still living....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't know what you're doing with them either! I never realised the Keo ones were that bad.

I use the older Look delta pedals and cleats and they last me ages, gotta say, and I do walk in them a little.
  • CalumR
    CalumR Posts: 68
    Mine seemed to get bad very quickly but then they were fine for ages, almost like they have a very soft outsie layer, then a much tougher plastic underneath.

They've lasted just over a year, but they do need replacing now
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    No idea what your doing with them, but that is crazy, I use the most basic Look Keo pedals for my winter bike, i cycle almost everyday give or take a few and 1 year down the line I'm not looking to replace them, work perfectly after thousands of miles and roughly the same kind of walking distances you do.

Got to be something your doing, never seen anything like that, why is the base of your shoe in general that knackered as well? again got winter shoes years old with less scratches then them.
  • meanredspider
    This comes up time and time again with Look Keos - just check the Wiggle reviews
    Wears Out Easily(48 )

No other cleat seems to have this issue which suggests that the problem is as much to do with the cleat as anything. Shimano-SLs, which seem to be broadly the same concept & design seem to be fine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • carrock
    Yes

This review from Wiggle sums it up perfectly

"Thing that walks in cleat and is painful. However, it is thought that it is easy to walk even a little, has arrived at the cleat by the mule, and the impact is absorbed. However, the mule begins to peel off thinly when embezzling. It is necessary to note it so that the walking should not peel off after all.

:shock: :shock:
  • meanredspider
    carrock wrote:
    Yes

"Thing that walks in cleat and is painful. However, it is thought that it is easy to walk even a little, has arrived at the cleat by the mule, and the impact is absorbed. However, the mule begins to peel off thinly when embezzling. It is necessary to note it so that the walking should not peel off after all.

LMAO - I smell a translation program... :D
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    carrock wrote:
    Yes

Obviously translated by Babelfish!!
    Spotted the OP's problem though, it's obviously the lack of a mule.
    Ridley Orion
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I used to use the ones with the rubbery bits on but now I use the standard cleats with cleat covers for walking. They are cheaper and they last a lot longer.

Can't recommend them enough.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    carrock wrote:
    Bought set of Look Keo max pedals and cleats 10 days ago

I had difficulty clipping my left shoe in- on closer inspection the rubber pad has fallen off and the cleat base is now unprotected and worn away, and scuffed- which makes it hard to clip in

The right side rubber pad also looks as though it will come adrift as it is clearly also loose (see pic )

image0051.jpg

Have to say I am massively unimpressed with these cleats as I am used to Shimano cleats lasting a whole summer- these are in a sorry state after 10 days- like most people I walk from front door to garage and in and out of pub/cafe but these cleats look like I have run a marathon in them!

Anyone else have this problem- the retailer seems to imply I have been using my feet as brakes........

I had this problem with my Look Classic pedals and cleats. I reckon it is down to walking "normally" in my shoes rather than on the heels. I have slowed the decay now by walking on my heels.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Yeah, the rubber grip things don't last 5 minutes. However, once they have fallen off, the cleats are still fine for a year or more. I'm sure they look worse than they are.
  • carrock
    APIII wrote:
    Yeah, the rubber grip things don't last 5 minutes. However, once they have fallen off, the cleats are still fine for a year or more. I'm sure they look worse than they are.

Well I've sanded the rough bits off with a dremel and they're clipping in fine again. I've superglued the other rubber bit on so hopefully should be OK...
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    same issue with mine, did the london sky ride last year and had to unclip and stick the leg out in hope and trashed all the rubber bits, but they are still ok, i am going to go down the supergluing the bits that are loose back on as they will slow the damage, funny enough only the left cleats in a sorry state the other looks perfect :P
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Looks about normal for Keo's (excuse poor pun). They do scuff fairly quick but then stay ok for ages (had mine over 2 years and use them on rural commute). If you walk on the heels more they last longer, but this may depend on the shoe you have. If you're walking more than you thought, "normal" SPDs may be better.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Mine are in roughly the same condition, but they are about a year old.

Most of my 'on foot' travels are across gravel and stone though, so probably not as abrasive as concrete/tarmac *shrug*
  • Mine also wore out way quicker than I thought and squeak like crazy at times when putting the power down
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Asprilla wrote:
    I used to use the ones with the rubbery bits on but now I use the standard cleats with cleat covers for walking. They are cheaper and they last a lot longer.

Can't recommend them enough.

I run 2 pairs of shoes in parallel, one is used with standard cleats on the turbo and TT bike and the other used with grip cleats on the road bike. I get over a year of wear on both types by keeping my weight on my heels, not scuffing/rubbing the cleats and using cleat covers when walking significant distances.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."