Pedals and shoes advice please

mazinevs
mazinevs Posts: 17
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hello all, I want to buy road shoes and clipless pedals to upgrade from my spd for my road bike. I have a budget of around £130-150 for both pedals and shoes, any help would be greatly appreaciated and also where to buy from

thanks

Comments

• Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    I always think it is best to buy shoes from somewhere you can try a few pairs on, that way you get an optimum fit. I recently purchased a pair from my LBS and asked them for a cheeky discount as I could get them cheaper online, they immediately offered me 10%. I spent £90 on the shoes alone, and mine were mid-range, but there are plenty cheaper out there. Ribble have got some good deals on pedals at the moment - Look, Time and Exustar all look good, depends what style you require. I'm sure people on here will let you know their personal choices.
    Ridley Orion
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Northwave Vertigo shoes and Look Keo pedals.
    To be honest, go to a few shops and try plenty of shoes on because it's one hell of a task to find a good fit. You should be able to pick some mid-range keos for a fair price on the net.
  • Some places are doing the 2010 Specialized Road Expert for £100, down from £150 as the new ones have just come out. Very nice shoes. http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-bg-expert-item114882.html
    That'll leave you with £50 to get some Shimano 105 SL pedals http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50512 (which come with cleats), and still have a bit of change!!
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • jf22901
    jf22901 Posts: 155
    I can also vouch for Northwave Vertigo shoes. Very comfy, and relatively cheap compared to other brands. Always best to try before you buy, but I found Northwave to be the same size as my Adidas/Nike trainers (i.e. no need to buy a few sizes bigger than normal).
  • mazinevs
    mazinevs Posts: 17
    thanks for the tips guys, might just buy a pair of shoes online and giveit a try, the northwave ones look very nice, how about mavic avenir's anyone tried them?
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    I have got Mavic Avenir road shoes, they are very comfortable for me, soft uppers and stiff soles, so a perfect combination in my eyes. I have the black ones simply because I think they will stay cleaner, but the white looks very nice. Fit wise, they are relatively wide compared to alot of bike shoes, but they are snug at the toe end. They also fit size for size, unlike Shimano where you always have to go up a size, sometimes even more. I can't comment on wear because I've only worn them a few times so it will be interesting to see how the cleats do, but so far so good.
    Ridley Orion
  • wombler
    wombler Posts: 85
    Try some on before buying. I was planning on getting Mavic shoes but when I tried them on they were too wide for my narrow feet. I then got expertly upsold to a pair of Sidi Fives, which are great and fit perfectly. Fit is the most important thing with shoes.