Best wet weather / winter tyre

ads77
ads77 Posts: 57
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all.

Just wondering if anybody has experience of wet/winter tyres?

Looked at schwalbe ultremo aqua or conti 4season.

Looking to build up a bad weather bike.

Cheers.

Ad.

Comments

• Swinston
    Swinston Posts: 4
    I use Michelln Krylion Carbons, i stick to the ground and when a lorry forces me through a pond of a puddle I feel like Jesus.

Have no experience with those you mentioned however
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    its a bit early isnt it lol, proper brit, the rainsss coming sooon!

Use gatorskins, yet to have any quarms about them
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    JRooke wrote:
    its a bit early isnt it lol, proper brit, the rainsss coming sooon!

whattayamean!!!! i just bought myself a set of Shimano MW80 winter boots yesterday in prep for commuting and training in the autumn / winter . How depressing is that! :cry:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... oes-33646/
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Vittoria Pave.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I use 25mm Conti 4 seasons as the name suggests, all year round. Pretty good in the wet, bit sketchy on black ice / diesel. One thorn and one pinch flat in 3 years. Still waiting to wear them out so I can try something else (and when they do wear out I'll probably go for the same again)
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    For a "fit and forget" all rounder, I am not sure the 25mm Conti GP4Season can be beaten.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I've used 28mm Conti GP4 Seasons for a couple of sets. They grip well in all conditions and are fast.

However, I find that after 2000km or so they puncture almost continuously. Personally, I don't think this is sufficient mileage for an expensive tyre.

I have a genuine bad weather bike. It's a Cotic Roadrat with Alfine hub gears. Normally it has 28mm Marathon Plus on. In the snow/ice it has 35mm Marathon Winters. Obviously, this bike isn't the fastest but it is ideal for the winter. Dunno if that's what you mean by a winter bike. I use mine for all conditions, all year round commuting on a 30 mile round trip on muddy lanes
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    blackhands wrote:
    Vittoria Pave.

+ 1

Bomb proof.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Conti 4 season is a great winter tyre, but the outer layer is very hard so I found it quite sketchy, especially if you hit wet leaves (and there are lots on my commute). Michelin Krylions are great - I did a 200km sportif on them this month in torrential rain and wind and never once felt insecure. I did, however, feel wet.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Schwalbe Durano in 23mm have been great,really happy with them in all conditions.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Bontrager Hardcase are very tough. I use them all year for commuting with good results. I went out to the road bike for a tyre squeeze yesterday as I am off on leave and off-roading and touring a lot - one was flat! The Bontragers are also much cheaper than the others quoted above and you can always try to negotiate a discount with your LBS.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    I won't explain my tyre-squeezing obsession here :oops:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    Have had good luck with 25mm Schwalbe Stelvio Plus (now Durano Plus). Running on the back wheel, and although severely cut up by flints, nothing into the cord. Approx 2500 miles so far.
  • rsbystry
    rsbystry Posts: 3
    I'm doing about 100 miles a week on 23mm gatorskins. No punctures so far after about 1000m miles, and they're really grippy.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    canamdad wrote:
    Have had good luck with 25mm Schwalbe Stelvio Plus (now Durano Plus). Running on the back wheel, and although severely cut up by flints, nothing into the cord. Approx 2500 miles so far.
    +1 for the 23mm version. Good winter tyre.

I've also had good experiences with Michelin Krylions (although I tend to use these as a summer tyre) and Bontrager Race X Light Hardcase.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    Bontrager Hardcase are very tough. I use them all year for commuting with good results. I went out to the road bike for a tyre squeeze yesterday as I am off on leave and off-roading and touring a lot - one was flat! The Bontragers are also much cheaper than the others quoted above and you can always try to negotiate a discount with your LBS.

+1 I find them very dependable use them on my commute which is a bit off off road and road done about 100 miles a week for the last year and no problems not probably not the fastest but got to be some give and take
    Getting there
  • Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180

+1 I find them very dependable use them on my commute which is a bit off off road and road done about 100 miles a week for the last year and no problems not probably not the fastest but got to be some give and take
    Getting there