rear wheel rubbing on R side brake block

sully123
sully123 Posts: 6
edited July 2011 in Workshop
Hello All,
New member & a numtpy brake question .. as per title of thread
Why could my rear wheel be rubbing on R side brake block ?
The brake is a left side pull, standard issue on Planet X Pro Road Ti
This is only a recent problem.
Wheel is 'true', frame is good, ,cable seems free & bike was thoroughly serviced a few months ago.
Have tried pulling/releasing brake lever & adjusting using small adjuster screw nr brake caliper. Have yet to remove brake cliper set, but seems to move freely.
Suggestions (& pi$$takes) welcome
Cheers
:?

Comments

• mtb1975
    mtb1975 Posts: 33
    1. Release the quick release on the rear wheel and check the wheel is seated correctly in the dropouts.

2. Loosen the allen bolt holding the calliper, re-align with equal distance between each brake block and rim then re-tighten.

If neither solves the problem - wait until someone with more knowledge leaves you a post :wink:
  • sully123
    Smashin' advice, I'll try that + any other suggestions ... as there's no LBS over here :(
    Thanks mtb1975
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    sully123 wrote:
    Smashin' advice, I'll try that + any other suggestions ... as there's no LBS over here :(
    Thanks mtb1975
    Over where ?
    You might just be able to reposition it without loosening anything. I have to do that every time I get my bike out of the back of the car and put my front wheel back on.
  • sully123
    thanks folks,
    Will try those suggestions
    The LBS here is focussed more on retail (TREK mainly) than repairs. And the experience is often learnt on the job. Just 1 of the aspects of living here poor LBS ... but crackin' weather most of the year. bit hot at the mo' tho' 44 degrees @ midday ... so we're starting our final summer ride @ 04:30 a.m. :shock:
    cheers
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Twostage wrote:
    sully123 wrote:
    Thanks mtb1975
    Over where ?
    You might just be able to reposition it without loosening anything. I have to do that every time I get my bike out of the back of the car and put my front wheel back on.

You can't with the Planet X brakes. You have to undo the fixing bolt a bit to reposition them.
    More problems but still living....
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Twostage wrote:
    sully123 wrote:
    Thanks mtb1975
    Over where ?
    Spotted your location. Was that there before ? My Dad used to work there many years ago.
  • sully123
    Thanks again folks, Think I've corrected it, used an allen key to realign it ( only needed to be moved a few degrees in the right direction ), not sure why that didn't happen when I tried doing it with my fingers. :?
    amaferanga, I'll be doing that if it goes again
    Twostage, my location wasn't there before, your reply made me realise ... I thought I'd added the location @ same time as uploadiing avatar :roll:
    Cheers
  • Baytt
    Baytt Posts: 102
    sorry to steal the thread.... rather than creating a new one :D

have the same problem, of brake rubbing, well actually it varies on both sides.

its a , i think, a single pivot side pull. shimano r600. tried tightening the allen bolt and the bolt behind the stays. they just move side to side with little effort. cant seem to get them centred at all.

any idaes?

cheers