locking up my pride and joy

creamsodauk
creamsodauk Posts: 63
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
so i have my lovely bike, and now im startin g to ride it too town, but i as of yet dont have a lock to keep it safe, so whats a good buy for around £30-35

looked at abus locks and such and it seems people prefer D locks over cable for strength, is this generally what people think?

any recommendations most appreciated

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Recommendation - Dont leave your pride and joy in town, get a cheap hack bike for that unless its being secured in a super safe area/lockup.

Even if you lock the frame up the wheels etc are easy prey.
  • briggo is right....thieves will get through anything. even gold standard locks can sometimes only be rated at 15mins hard attack. plus anyone with basic tools can strip a bike in minutes.

but a D lock is definately better than most locks.
    Cube Acid 2011
  • CPlater1
    CPlater1 Posts: 2
    ... plus anyone with basic tools can strip a bike in minutes....

And sadly in some areas they could do this with people walking past and not saying a thing.
  • yep.....just think how easy it is to remove a nce shiny carbon seat post for a start.

its shit aint it..we live in a society where people can basically take what they want and people dont bat an eyelid.
    Cube Acid 2011
  • thankfully i live in a fairly nice area. and the bike would be locked to bike anchors (the ones concreted into the floor outside shops)

but i see what your saying about getting a cheap bike, i do have one but its a dog too ride :-(

i guess the safest place if i leave it for a while is my dads work 2 mins from town but its nice to be able to stop at the post office etc for a few mins without having to drop the bike off and walk back

il look into D locks and maybe have a tinker with my old naff bike

cheers guys
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Got a cheap Rockhopper on Ebay for £34 delivered. Use it when I ride into town and lock it with a cheap rubbish lock.
    Decent bike lives inside and never out of my sight.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    thankfully i live in a fairly nice area. and the bike would be locked to bike anchors (the ones concreted into the floor outside shops)

il look into D locks and maybe have a tinker with my old naff bike

cheers guys

Anchors in the floor mean nothing, the thief doesnt care what the bike is locked too, its the lock they're interested in, i.e. are they equipped to take down chain locks or D locks.

Secondly again as said its the parts that are the most vulnerable.
  • I had a supposed gold d lock and lost the keys - it took me
    15 mins with a dremel 1" cutting disc to remove said lock not good
    It's now locked with something a lot more beefy and weighty £200 worth of English harden tool steel chain and a lock as big as my fist ( motor bike locks are sooo much sturdier )
    live, ride, survive

2012 Nightrod Special Race tuned
    Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • ... but its nice to be able to stop at the post office etc for a few mins without having to drop the bike off and walk back

I take mine into the post office and a few of the banks, they don't seem to mind. Greggs are quite accommodating too. Otherwise it's locked where I can see it (or it's not out of sight for more than a minute or two).
  • i must say i have wheeled it into a few shops, they look at you for a bit as if too say what? but they never complain

obviously not an option when iv hit the dirt before hand tho lol