What SRAM PC991 Chain?

Brighty
Brighty Posts: 119
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, need a new chain after the shimano one that came with the bike snapped on me, no confidence in it, chainset and cassette all look ok, haven't done too many miles on it. Have decided on a SRAM PC991, but there's a few variants. I've ruled out the hollowpin version as i don't see the benefit of such a small weight saving for the extra cost and possible weaker chain. That leaves the standard PC991, best price £20.66 and the cross step version, best price £18. What's the difference between the 2? Any pros and cons of each or should i get the cross step as it is cheaper and has a higher RRP?

Cheers

Brighty

Comments

• getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    IMO KMC make the best chains as they're stronger and wear slower. Have a look at the KMC X9
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    +1 KMC potato.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    KMC here too. Had too many SRAM chains snap.

• Brighty
    Brighty Posts: 119
    Cheers guys, will consider KMC.

So what does everyone use, standard X9, X9L or X9SL? Silver or Ti N Gold ones? SL a bit pricey, but seen the Silver X9L for £20 and the Gold for £25. Is the X9L a good idea for me being a hollow pin design and me being a 110kg lump? Should i just get the cheap standard X9? KMC website says the standard comes in gold too, but can't see anyone selling them

Cheers

Brighty
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cheap chains and replace regularly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, just use the standard X9 unless those few grams saved are really that important.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you want a chain that will absolutely not bust, get one of these:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/109261.html

I had one on test, work well.
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    I snapped a Hollowpin 991 putting the power down on a standing start, feet came flying off and tore my legs to bits on the chain rings... :? :( So yes, best to avoid!
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    the "standard" X9 is the X9L (X9 Light), it is available in gold, but the additional cost only gets you the colour, it wont last or perform any better.....having said that, they do look pretty bling if kept clean.

Agreed with going standard, no point paying extra for an SL to save a few grams unless you're a proper weight weeny...........KMC are now offering a "double durability" guarantee - if you're not happy with their X series chain durability in comparison to other brands, you can email them and they'll replace it for free - i hear they dont get many emails!!