Low cost XC race bike

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I moved away from MTBing to road cycling a few years ago and started racing. I've now just come back from a holiday in Morzine and want to get back on a MTB, and probably do some racing.

I've got a kid on the way so cash is pretty tight, but any advice on what sort of thing to go for? I'm probably looking to spend around £400 on something in the second hand market, so that should get me something with an RRP of £1000.

Any advice on what to go for?

I obviously want something as light as possible, and maybe something with a decent frame that is worth upgrading, rather than something with the frame as the limiting factor.

Any opinions of the Cube Ltd's? There is one of these local to me on ebay: http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/cube/ltd-comp-2010

Is 4" of travel the standard now? Will I be able to get air shocks in this price range?

What kind of weight are decent XC bikes now?

Thanks!

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    100mm-120mm of travel is the standard XC fork travel nowadays.

Air forks? I'd expect them if you're looking at bikes that would have cost £1k new.

Cubes are pretty good, a decent spec for the money. Have a look at second hand Boardmans too, not too glamorous, but very good, so you can probably get a bargain compared to a Specialized/Trek etc.

Something like a Boardman Pro (well specced £1k HT) will weigh about 25 lbs, other, less well specced brands may be heavier, but their fans would argue that you're getting a better frame. I had a Boardman Pro for 2 years and never felt 'limited' by the frame, it was very light and very good at what it was designed for so....well, some people like the stickers on the side of the frame don't they :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514

What part of a £400 budget don't you understand ?
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • milese
    :lol:

Think one of these would fit the bill?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/archive/8000
  • BigR
    BigR Posts: 35
    I have one of these in good condition not miles away from what you are looking to spend - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-4sl-9441

I would suggest you get the best you can afford. The most important bits are the frame then the fork and then the wheels. Second hand is the way to go. I would aim for something that orginally cost £1000-1500. Boardman are good value but there are others.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`d be looking at something like a secondhand Giant XTC,Specialized Rockhopper,On One Scandal or similar.
    The classifieds on singletrackworld or ebay often throw up some great bargains for this sort of money.

Don`t get too hung up on age,condition is what matters,if you are looking at this price and if you aren`t too concerned with fashion you may just get a decent ,raceable bike.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • milese
    Any thoughts on the Trek 8000, link above?
  • Pauls cycles do some really nice deals on full suspension giants around £500.

Giant Yukon Fx i think, my brothers got one and after riding it i can sayits a really good solid but light bike. Was reduced from around £1000

Hope this helps a little :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pauls cycles do some really nice deals on full suspension giants around £500.
    Which bit of XC race bike did you not understand?

Personally I'd set a search up on ebay and order ending soonest and look for an 'overlooked' bargain, I've picked up 4 of those on ebay, also keep an eye on gumtree (make sure it's not stolen!) for bargains, you get the best bargain when no-one else values it, while you may get a deal on here or STW in the classifieds there are too many people on here who will spot the bargain it may be!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ooops :s

Sorry my bad, only trying to help :)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I know it is slightly above budget, but would this be any good for you?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12786967&highlight=
  • Scott spark's and giant xtc are both very good 4" racing hardtails, both use the same frames as more expensive models in the range (although obviously the alu. and carbon are different) and build up pretty light. Check on xcracer as lots of racing bikes for sale, although most would be over budget you may be lucky!
  • The Spiderman
    Milese wrote:
    :lol:

Think one of these would fit the bill?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/archive/8000

Ideal if its in good nick.Good frame,light,very decent forks and reasonable drivetrain.Good basis for future upgrades too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • The Spiderman
    Pauls cycles do some really nice deals on full suspension giants around £500.
    Which bit of XC race bike did you not understand?

Personally I'd set a search up on ebay and order ending soonest and look for an 'overlooked' bargain, I've picked up 4 of those on ebay, also keep an eye on gumtree (make sure it's not stolen!) for bargains, you get the best bargain when no-one else values it, while you may get a deal on here or STW in the classifieds there are too many people on here who will spot the bargain it may be!

Simon

Over looked,poorly described bikes on ebay or buyers with new accounts,particularly if collection only are a great source of bargains.I`ve just bought an unmarked 2010 carbon Giant Defy road bike with an rrp of £1750 for £820. I did have to watch numerous bikes for the past few months to get it mind.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    See loads of older zaskars for this money.
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    2003 Kona Explosif, job jobbed.
    Guinness for strength