bike size for partner in the Carrera Virtuoso or TDF

llstanley
llstanley Posts: 2
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I want to buy a bike for my husband, I went into my local halfords and have seen 2 bikes in the price I want to pay. The Carrera Virtuoso and the Carrera TDF, i was told they where both the same, just a different colour and one was £30 more expensive. Is there actually any difference ?

More importantly is the size, there was 2 to choose from Medium or Large. His measurements are height around 173 - 174 cms and leg is around 31 - 32 cm.

Don't want to have to involve him as want it to be a surprise, so If people can give there opinions on the size to select I will be most grateful.

T

Comments

• Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Hi,

I got the virtuoso last Christmas. Im 6', 32" inside leg and the large is a good fit for me.

Its hard to say for sure as we are all different shapes, but prob medium would be best.
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Although it doesn't mention this on the website the Virtuoso would be better as it has a compact chainset (more flexible).

As for size I agree with Garryboy the medium would be the right size for your husband.

If I give you my phone number could you call my wife and get her to buy me a bike for my birthday too? I am sure it will be a great surprise for him and he is a lucky man.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Tricky one..

I am 5 foot 7 " and ride the medium virtuoso and it is a great bike for the price and i would recommend it over the TDF as it has a shorter top tube so you are not so stretched out making it more comfortable to ride and it has the compact gears making it better for beginners and hills.

The Only way to really know the right size is to try a medium and a large for size as it is your upper body length + reach+ flexibility that determine the right size assuming you can get the seat the right height rather than just leg length.

Do halfords do a swap service? If you buy it and it does not get ridden because you bought the wrong size then ask if you can change it?

TBH i only buy a bike if i have tested it.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Hi,

I just bought the virtuoso last week and got the Large. Im 6 foot and have a 30" inside leg. Great bike, especially for the money.Sounds like your husband might need a medium.